SR 168 Safety Improvement Project
The State Route (SR) 168 Safety Project proposes to construct a consistent cross-section with one lane in each direction and a continuous two-way left turn lane, which will reduce left turn and merge related collisions. Work will consist of an asphalt overlay, striping, and replacement of the detector loops at Barlow. The location of the project is from 330 feet west of Meadow Lane (PM 16.0) to 210 feet east of Pioneer Lane (PM 17.7) on SR 168 in Inyo County near the City of Bishop.
This project will improve safety by reducing the number and severity of collisions. Benefits include a continuous left-turn lane that provides a refuge for turning traffic and vehicle deceleration off the travel lane, reduced driver confusion and a "complete street" for all users of the highway.
- Alternative 1: 1 - 12' lane EB, 1 - 12' lane WB, a 12'-14' wide two-way left turn lane (TWLTL), 6' bike lane EB and WB, and 8' parking EB and WB.
- Alternative 2: 2 - 12' lanes EB, 1 - 12' lane WB, a 14' wide two-way left turn lane (TWLTL), and 8'-11' shoulders for shared biking and parking.
- Alternative 3: 1 - 12' lane EB, 2 - 12' lanes WB, a 14' wide two-way left turn lane (TWLTL), and 8'-11' shoulders for shared biking and parking.
Caltrans held a public meeting on November 14th, 2018 at 6:30 at the Northern Inyo Hospital Birch Street Annex Board Room, located at 2957 Birch Street, Bishop, CA. A previous public meeting was held on August 27, 2014 to discuss this and other projects on the corridor.
- 2018/July - Begin Environmental (Current Status)
- 2018 - Right of Way Certification
- 2020/January - Advertise project
- 2020/July 16 - Begin construction
- 2021/Winter - Complete construction
For More Information Contact
- Christopher Andriessen, Caltrans District 9 Public Information Officer, (760) 872-5206