Sonora Junction Shoulder Widening Project
The Sonora Junction Shoulder Widening Project proposes to widen the existing paved shoulders on U.S. Highway 395 in Mono County from Burcham Flat Road to the south side of the junction with State Route 108. It proposes to install shoulder rumble strips, upgrade existing guardrails to Midwest Guardrail System, and correct the super-elevations of three substandard curves. This project is meant to enhance roadway safety and make the highway accessible to all modes of transportation. There are three “build” alternatives considered for this project. All three alternatives will require realigning Hot Creek about eight-tenths of a mile south of Little Walker Road to prevent the creek from undermining the highway.
The preferred project alternative proposes to widen the highway shoulders to the standard 8-foot width. This alternative will also include approximately 1,050 linear feet of retaining walls, stabilizing cut slopes with anchored wire mesh, and extending or replacing existing culverts. Additionally, the preferred alternative calls for the installation of wildlife undercrossing structures in two locations and wildlife exclusionary fencing to connect the two structures.
The final environment document for the Sonora Junction Shoulder Widening Project is now available for public review upon request.
To obtain a copy of the final environmental document:
- Request by Mail: Caltrans District 9, c/o Jeremy Milos, 500 S. Main Street, Bishop, CA, 93514
- Request by Email: Sonora Junction Shoulders Environmental Document
The public comment period closed on March 8, 2021.
The estimated cost of this project is $20.1 million.
Project Schedule (Subject to change):
- February 2021: Draft Environmental Document for Public Comment
- May 2021: Final Environmental Document and Alternative Chosen
- June 2023: Advertise
- December 2023: Contract Approval
- Spring/Summer 2024: Begin Construction
For More Information
- Jeremy Milos, Project Manager, 760-874-8633
- Michael Lingberg, Caltrans District 9 Public Information Officer, (760) 920-0280
For Title VI information, click here: Caltrans Title VI