District 5 - Encroachment Permits

The use of California State highways for other than normal transportation purposes may require written authorization (an Encroachment Permit) from the Department of Transportation. As the responsible Department for protecting the public's investment in the State highway system, Caltrans reviews all requests from utility companies, developers, volunteers, nonprofit organizations, etc., desiring to conduct various activities within the right of way.

Applications are accepted by mail or in person only:
Encroachment Permits Office
Caltrans, District 5
50 Higuera Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Supplemental Information