District 5 - Encroachment Permits
The use of California State highways for other than normal transportation purposes may require written authorization (an Encroachment Permit) from the Department of Transportation. As the responsible Department for protecting the public's investment in the State highway system, Caltrans reviews all requests from utility companies, developers, volunteers, nonprofit organizations, etc., desiring to conduct various activities within the right of way.
Applications are accepted by mail or in person only:
Encroachment Permits Office
Caltrans, District 5
50 Higuera Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
- Encroachment Permit Application (TR-0100) (PDF)
Note: It may take up to 60 calendar days, upon determination that the submittal is complete, to be issued a permit.
- Encroachment Permit Application Instructions
- Permit Application Checklist
- Authorization of Agent Form (PDF)
- Fee Schedule (PDF): Hours x $82/hour, checks made payable to: Caltrans
- Filming Permits
Please include map circled with filming location relative to recognizable features such as bridge, cross street, river, etc.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Oversize/Overweight Permits
- Outdoor Advertising Permits