State Route 9 Saratoga Creek Bridge
Caltrans is proposing a project to replace or retrofit the Saratoga Creek Bridge on State Route (SR) 9. The bridge crosses Sanborn Creek just west of the City of Saratoga at post mile 4.9. The purpose of this project is to maintain safe and stable connectivity along SR-9 between the City of Saratoga in Santa Clara County and the community of Felton in Santa Cruz County. The need for this project results from the seismic and structural concerns for the Saratoga Creek Bridge (Bridge No. 37 0074).
A scoping meeting was held on Thursday, April 21, 2016 at the Saratoga Prospect Center. The public comment period for the Scoping Phase concluded on May 20, 2016. Caltrans received feedback from the public and participating agencies during this time that reflected concerns with:
- maintaining traffic access along SR-9 during construction;
- the potential visual impacts of the corridor since the project occurs in a section of SR-9 that is a designated scenic highway; and
- potential impacts to the historical designation of the existing bridge since it is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
The project development team took these concerns into consideration in refining the development of the project and finally settled on the following project alternatives:
- Alternative 1: Retrofit the Existing Bridge Along Current Alignment (Retrofit Alternative)
- Alternative 2: Replace Bridge South of Existing Alignment (Realign Roadway South Alternative)
- Alternative 3: Replace Bridge North of Existing Alignment (Realign Roadway North Alternative)
- Alternative 4: No Build Alternative
The project development team studied the potential impacts from the proposed project and prepared a Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) under the California Environmental Quality Act and an Environmental Assessment (EA) under the National Environmental Policy Act. The public comment period on the Draft EIR/EA began on February 12, 2018 and ended on March 29, 2018. A copy of the Draft EIR/EA can be downloaded here or at the District 4 Environmental Program.A public hearing for the Draft EIR/EA was held on February 28, 2018 in the City of Saratoga. The hearing was an open house format with project development team members available to answer questions about this project and informational display boards. A short presentation was also done to introduce the project to the meeting attendees. A copy of the display boards for the meeting is available for download here.
The Project Development Team is currently considering the comments submitted during the public comment period for the Draft EIR/EA. A preferred project alternative will be chosen based on the PDT’s consideration of the collected comments weighed with the results of the studies prepared for the EIR/EA. The current expectation for finalizing the EIR/EA with a chosen preferred alternative is the summer of 2018.
For more information about this project or any transportation matter, call Caltrans at (510) 286-4444.
TDD users may contact the California Relay Service TDD line at 1-800-735-2929 or Voice Line at 1-800-735-2922.