**Note: Nighttime work may occur this week on U.S. 101 near the removed sound wall along Bayshore Boulevard, from 2nd Avenue to Dore Avenue, in the City of San Mateo. See below for more details.
Construction Update – Week of November 15th
This Week: Construction activities on U.S. 101 from Whipple Avenue (in Redwood City) to I-380 (in South San Francisco) will include: continued work in the area near the removed sound walls along Bayshore Boulevard (from Newbridge Avenue to just past Dakota Avenue and from 2nd Avenue to Dore Avenue), all within the City of San Mateo. Additional work will include installing stormwater drainage systems, guardrail, permanent lighting, and permanent ramp metering; grading; paving; roadway excavation; landscaping work; erosion control work; and other related construction activities.
Most of the work will occur on the freeway lanes, shoulders, and ramps, while sound wall work will occur on city streets adjacent to U.S. 101. More information is provided below.
Construction crews excavating on the freeway shoulder.
Daytime Work in the City of San Mateo - Retaining Wall Work Delayed
Retaining wall work in the City of San Mateo, initially scheduled to begin November 4, has been temporarily delayed to ensure the work does not conflict with utilities in the area. Once work begins, construction crews will install the foundations of a retaining wall on southbound U.S. 101, south of the on-ramp from East Hillsdale Boulevard, requiring the intermittent use of a hydraulic hammer. Once initiated, this work is scheduled to take place from 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM and is anticipated to take place over 5 non-consecutive working days. The work may produce noise and vibration from the intermittent use of a hydraulic hammer as well as other common construction-related sounds such as backup alarms.
In addition, the closure of the following two southbound U.S. 101 on-ramps will be required for safety reasons: Eastbound East Hillsdale Boulevard to Southbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp, Westbound East Hillsdale Boulevard to Southbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp.
Check the “Construction Update” tab on 101express.com for schedule updates.
Sound Wall Work: Construction crews working on the sound walls continue to implement periodic traffic control on Bayshore Boulevard (from Newbridge Avenue to just past Dakota Avenue and from 2nd Avenue to Dore Avenue) in the City of San Mateo. Traffic control may occur from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Watch for detour signs. After 5:00 PM, the road will be restored to two-way traffic.
Nighttime Work Near Removed Sound Wall in the City of San Mateo: Beginning the week of November 15th, construction crews will be working on U.S. 101 near the removed sound wall along Bayshore Boulevard, from 2nd Avenue to Dore Avenue, in the City of San Mateo. Nearby residents and travelers may see construction crews during the night and early morning (from 8:00 PM to 5:00 AM). This work may include noise and vibration from machines as well as other common construction-related sounds such as back-up alarms. This work is anticipated to begin the week of November 15th and conclude the week of November 22nd. Activities are expected to be intermittent throughout the week.
Sound Wall Nearing Completion: Construction activities associated with relocating the section of sound wall along Bayshore Boulevard from Newbridge Avenue to just past Dakota Avenue in the City of San Mateo are nearly complete. This section of sound wall is anticipated to be complete the week of 11/22. On-street parking and two-way traffic will be restored to this area of Bayshore Boulevard once sound wall reconstruction is complete.
Nighttime Freeway Lane Closures: Nightly freeway lane closures may occur on northbound and southbound U.S. 101 from 7:00 PM to 6:30 AM, Sunday night to Friday morning. Due to low traffic volumes, project-related traffic delays are anticipated to be minimal. Caltrans will continue to monitor traffic delays and make adjustments, as necessary.
Freeway Ramp Closures: Temporary ramp closures may occur during the night. Ramp closures could occur in both the northbound and southbound directions of the freeway. However, consecutive interchanges for northbound or southbound ramps will not be closed at the same time.
Nighttime ramp closures: Short-term nighttime ramp closures are possible the week of November 15th (between Sunday night and Friday morning) in/near the cities of Redwood City, San Carlos, Belmont, San Mateo, Foster City, Burlingame, Millbrae, San Bruno, and South San Francisco at the following locations (listed from south to north). Changeable message signs near the ramps will have exact closure times and locations.
- Eastbound Whipple Avenue, Northbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp
- Northbound U.S. 101, Whipple Avenue Off-Ramp
- Southbound U.S. 101, Whipple Avenue Off-Ramp
- Westbound Whipple Avenue, Southbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp
- Brittan Avenue, Southbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp
- Eastbound/Westbound Holly Street, Southbound U.S. 101 On/Off-Ramp
- Eastbound/Westbound Holly Street, Northbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp
- Northbound U.S. 101, Northbound Holly Street Off-Ramp
- Eastbound Harbor Boulevard, Southbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp
- Eastbound/Westbound Ralston Avenue, Southbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp
- Westbound East Hillsdale, Northbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp
- Eastbound Route 92, Northbound U.S. 101 Connector Ramp
- Eastbound Route 92, Southbound U.S. 101 Connector Ramp
- Northbound U.S. 101, Eastbound/Westbound Route 92 Connector Ramp
- Southbound U.S. 101, Eastbound/Westbound Route 92/Fashion Island Boulevard Connector Ramp
- Northbound U.S. 101, Kehoe Avenue Off-Ramp
- Eastbound 4th Avenue, Southbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp
- Eastbound/Westbound 3rd/4th Avenue, Northbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp
- Northbound U.S. 101, Eastbound Dore Avenue Off-Ramp
- Northbound U.S. 101, Peninsula Avenue Off-Ramp (Closures possible lasting until 7:00 AM at this location)
- Southbound U.S. 101, Eastbound/Westbound Millbrae Avenue Off-Ramp
- Eastbound/Westbound San Bruno Avenue, Northbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp
- Eastbound/Westbound San Bruno Avenue, Southbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp
- Northbound U.S. 101, Eastbound Route 380 Connector Ramp
- Southbound U.S. 101, Eastbound Route 380 Connector Ramp
Nighttime ramp closures:
- Will be displayed on changeable message signs within the construction zone
- All construction activities are subject to change without notice.
- For questions during construction, contact the Caltrans Public Information Officer:
Alejandro Lopez at (510) 385-6856 or email@example.com.
Visit our website at 101express.com for more information about the project. Follow us on Twitter @CaltransD4.
If you would like a copy of a prior construction update, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.