District: District 11 – San Diego and Imperial Counties
Contact: Nicholas Buenviaje • D11.CleanCA@dot.ca.gov
Phone: (619) 688-6670
SAN DIEGO & IMPERIAL – Following the success of statewide free disposal events on Earth Day, Caltrans District 11 is announcing Clean California Dump Day events for the remainder of the year in San Diego and Imperial counties, beginning Saturday, May 21 in Carlsbad. Caltrans welcomes the public to bring non-hazardous, unwanted items to the nearest Dump Day event for free disposal.
The dump day events are part of Governor Gavin Newsom’s Clean California initiative, a sweeping $1.1 billion, multiyear clean-up effort led by Caltrans to keep roads and waterways free of litter, create thousands of jobs and transform state and local public spaces through beautification efforts. Caltrans has held 18 such events in San Diego and Imperial Counties since launching Clean California last July.
“One of Clean California’s goals is to create a cultural shift of shared responsibility and community pride, educating the public on how to manage and decrease our trash, and keep our roads and communities clean”, said Caltrans District 11 Director Gustavo Dallarda. “These events provide people the opportunity to dispose of items properly and free of charge, potentially preventing illegal dumping along highways, roads, and waterways.”
Caltrans will have staff on-site to accept household waste and approved debris free of charge. Dump Day events will take place at the following locations in San Diego and Imperial County:
- May 21, 2022 – Carlsbad Maintenance Yard (6050 Paseo Del Norte, Carlsbad) from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. or until capacity is reached at the site.
- June 18, 2022 – Escondido Maintenance Yard (1780 West Mission Rd, Escondido)
- July 16, 2022 – Chula Vista (570 C St, Chula Vista), Santee (8502 Railroad Ave, Santee), Brawley (200 South Palm Ave, Brawley) and El Centro (1102 Montenegro Way, El Centro) Maintenance Yards
- August 20, 2022 – Kearny Mesa Maintenance Yard (7181 Opportunity Rd, San Diego)
- September 17, 2022 – Carlsbad Maintenance Yard (6050 Paseo Del Norte, Carlsbad)
- October 15, 2022 – Escondido Maintenance Yard (1780 West Mission Rd, Escondido)
- November 19, 2022 – Chula Vista (570 C St, Chula Vista), Santee (8502 Railroad Ave, Santee), Brawley (200 South Palm Ave, Brawley) and El Centro (1102 Montenegro Way, El Centro) Maintenance Yards
- December 17, 2022 – Kearny Mesa Maintenance Yard (7181 Opportunity Rd, San Diego)
Prohibited items that will not be accepted include hazardous waste (batteries, paint, oils, flammables, etc.), e-waste (televisions, computers, microwaves, stereo equipment, electronics), construction debris (concrete, dirt, asphalt, asbestos), compressed gas, aerosols, treated wood waste, refrigerators, and freezers. Four mattresses and four tires separated from the rims per household will be accepted.
Scheduled events and prohibited items are subject to change. Additional events may be added as Caltrans partners with local public agencies, non-government organizations, and community groups. For the most up to date information, visit CleanCA.com, dot.ca.gov/caltrans-near-me/district-11, or follow @SDCaltrans on Facebook and Twitter.
Caltrans reminds motorists to properly secure and tarp all cargo loads prior to driving. Transporting unsecured loads is unsafe, illegal, and pollutes California's roads and waterways. Loads that are not tied down, enclosed, or secured by tarps or other means, will not be accepted.