District: District 11 – San Diego and Imperial Counties
Phone: (619) 688-6670
SAN DIEGO — Construction crews continue bridge repair work at Interstate 8 (I-8) and State Route 67 (SR-67) and will close a segment of SR-67/Magnolia Avenue at I-8 Tuesday through Thursday nights from 9 until 5 in the morning, according to Caltrans.
The closures include two lanes of westbound and eastbound I-8 along a half-mile segment near the SR-67 separation. At least one lane will remain open for traffic.
Crews will also close the Mollison Avenue on-ramp to westbound I-8 and the eastbound I-8 off-ramp to southbound Magnolia Avenue during the closure times.
The closures are expected to continue the week of July 11, Sunday through Thursday.
Warning signs will be placed ahead of the closure locations with the following detours:
- Freeway closure—Northbound SR-67/Magnolia Avenue: Detour northbound SR-67 to eastbound I-8 and exit onto Second Street north, to westbound I-8 to northbound SR-67.
- Freeway closure—Southbound SR-67/Magnolia Avenue: Detour southbound SR-67 to westbound I-8, to Main Street east to eastbound I-8 and exit onto southbound SR-67/Magnolia Avenue.
- Freeway lane reductions—Westbound and eastbound I-8 near SR-67/Magnolia Avenue: No detour. At least one lane will remain open for traffic.
- Ramp closure—Mollison Avenue on-ramp to westbound I-8: Detour north on Mollison Avenue to Broadway west to westbound I-8.
- Ramp closure—Eastbound I-8 off-ramp to southbound Magnolia Avenue: Primary detour to northbound SR-125 to eastbound SR-52 to SR-67/Magnolia Avenue.
Secondary detour to northbound SR-67, exit onto Bradley Avenue east to Mollison Avenue south, to Madison Avenue west to Magnolia Avenue.
Motorists are encouraged to avoid the area if possible and to allow additional travel time to reach their destinations.
The construction schedule is subject to change due to weather conditions, traffic incidents, or construction related reasons.
Caltrans thanks community members for their patience during this necessary bridge work. Please drive with caution during construction activities and Be Work Zone Alert!
For real-time traffic information including traffic speed, lane and road closures due to construction and maintenance activities, and more, go to http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/
Construction During COVID-19 Pandemic: Public works construction is deemed essential and our partners, contractors, and workers are following U.S. Center for Disease Control and California Department of Public Health guidelines at all construction sites. For more information about COVID-19, visit: covid19.ca.gov
Follow @SDCaltrans on Twitter and @D11Caltrans on Instagram; and like Caltrans District 11 on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SDCaltrans for news related to state transportation in San Diego and Imperial counties.