SR-163/Friars Road Interchange Project
The State Route 163/Friars Road Interchange project is funded by the city of San Diego.
The construction contract will be administered by Caltrans and will be constructed in three phases. Phase 1 is scheduled to begin in 2017 and will take approximately two years to complete. Phases 2 and 3 will be scheduled as funding becomes available.
Construction includes widening the State Route 163 (SR-163) Friars Road overcrossing from three to four lanes in each direction and improvements to the SR-163 on- and off-ramps and on Frazee Road. This phase will also construct a southbound SR-163 auxiliary lane just north of Friars Road.
Improvements for bicyclists and pedestrians in this phase include providing a bike lane and sidewalk on both eastbound and west-bound Friars Road in addition to on-and off-ramp modifications to eliminate the ’free right’ moves.
Pending Project Funding Construct a new collector ramp from southbound SR-163 to west-bound Interstate 8 (I-8) and a new flyover entrance ramp from Ulric Street to southbound SR-163 to reduce weaving.
Pending Project Funding Construct two southbound SR-163 auxiliary lanes from Genesee Avenue to Friars Road. Construct a northbound SR-163 auxiliary lane for motorists entering the freeway from Friars Road.
- Extensive residential and commercial development has increased traffic demand at this interchange causing significant traffic delays.
- Seasonal activities at Fashion Valley Mall and events at Qualcomm Stadium further exacerbate these conditions.
- During peak travel times, vehicles slow due to excessive traffic demand and existing weaving conditions on southbound SR-163 at Friars Road and at I-8.
- Modify the interchange to improve traffic operations in the area
- Provide improved access for bicyclists and pedestrians; and
- Minimize weaving on south-bound SR-163 between Friars Road and I-8.
- Phase 1 Construction Cost: $40 million
- Phases 2 & 3 Construction Cost: $71 million
- Total estimated Construction Cost: $111 million
- I-15 Express Lanes
- I-15 Pavement Replacement
- I-5/SR 56 Interchange Project
- I-8 Pavement and Bridge Rehabilitation Improvement Project from El Cajon Blvd to Marshall Ave
- I-8 Pavement Replacement and Road Improvements Project
- I-8 Update (Imperial County)
- Interstate 8 / Imperial Avenue Interchange
- San Diego – Coronado Bay Bridge Suicide Deterrent Project
- SR-11 / Otay Mesa East Port of Entry
- SR-111 Niland Geyser Mitigation Project
- SR-163/Friars Road Interchange Project
- State Route 67 Corridor
- SR-78 Corridor Upgrades
- SR-78 Ramona Parking Project
- SR-125 Pavement Rehabilitation Project
- SR-94/125 Interchange Project
- Routine Maintenance for Four Maintenance Stations with Fuel Tank Upgrades Project