I-5/SR 56 Interchange Project
The Interstate 5 (I-5)/State Route 56 (SR 56) Interchange Project will improve traffic operations on I-5 between Del Mar Heights Road and Carmel Valley Road, and on SR 56 between I-5 and Gonzales Creek Bridge, improving local and regional traffic on two of San Diego’s most critical north-south and east-west freeways.
The improvements are being constructed in two phases to provide near term improvements on SR 56 and to align with anticipated funding. The project phases are as follows:
- Phase 1: Construct an HOV Operational lane in each direction on SR 56 between El Camino Real and Gonzales Creek Bridge.
- Phase 2: Build a direct connector from westbound SR 56 to northbound I-5, replace and enhance the Del Mar Heights Road overcrossing, and construct an additional westbound lane on SR 56.
Phase 1 Status
Phase 1 is currently funded through design and the anticipated start of construction is early 2023. Phase 2 is currently unfunded.
Project Schedule and Funding
- Phase 1: In Design. Construction anticipated to begin early 2023.
- Phase 2: Currently unfunded.
- SANDAG TransNet
- City of San Diego
- Private Local Partnership Program (LPP)
$23M (Phase 1)
For more information:
- Twitter: SANDAG | SDCaltrans
- Instagram:SANDAGregion | D11caltrans
- Facebook: SANDAGregion | SDCaltrans
- YouTube: SANDAGregion | CaltransDistrict11