Albion River Bridge Replacement/Rehabilitation Project
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is initiating an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the proposed Albion River Bridge Replacement/Rehabilitation Project in Mendocino County in California. The Project is located on State Route 1 from post mile 43.3 to 44.2.
- Eliminate structural and seismic deficiencies
- Eliminate fracture critical condition of the truss main span
- Provide shoulder widths consistent with local coastal plan requirements
- Provide improved road alignment and sight distance
- Provide safe multimodal access for bicyclists and pedestrians across the bridge
- Minimize ongoing maintenance costs
- Minimize traffic delays associated with bridge inspection, maintenance, and repairs
- Improve resilience to sea level rise, storm surges, and tsunamis
- Prevent further preservative treatment leaching from existing bridge timbers
- Minimize construction-related impacts to the community and environment.
- Notice of Intent: April 15, 2022
- 30-day Public Comment Period: April 15-May 20, 2022
- Public Scoping Meeting: May 5, 2022
- Circulation of Draft Environmental Document (DED): August 2023
- Project Approval & Final Environmental Document (PA&ED): August 2024
- Plans & Estimate: June 2026
- Right of Way Certification (RWC): August 2026
- Contract Advertisement: November 2026
- Contract Award: January 2027
- Begin Construction: May 2027
- Construction Contract Acceptance: October 2031
Accessibility Assistance: Caltrans makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, there may be portions of this document which are not accessible. Where documents cannot be made accessible, we are committed to providing alternative access to the content. Should you need additional assistance, please contact us at 1-916-654-2852 (and/or a division contact) or visit https://dot.ca.gov/request-ada-compliant-documents.
- NOI Document (External Link)
- Bridge Inspection Report - April 2021 (PDF)
- Bridge Life Cycle Cost Analysis - May 2021 (PDF)
- Alt 1C CIP Concrete Box Girder (Arch – West Alignment) (PDF)
- Sign up for email updates on the Albion River Project.
- Follow Caltrans District 1 on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
For more information, contact:
Project Manager: Katie Everett
Public Information Officer: Manny Machado
Last reviewed: April 2023
(Albion River Bridge: Current)
View the Virtual Public Scoping Meeting
Caltrans District 1 hosted a public scoping meeting on May 5, 2022, to facilitate the submission of formal comments and share information about the environmental review process and the overall project. View a recording of the meeting by clicking on the video below.