To accelerate development and utilization of new and improved technology, Cal-ITP often plays the role of industry convener. These activities include connecting transit agencies with new technologies, as well as assembling enough new data to attract the interest of third-party trip planners.
Current demonstration projects are listed below.
- Open-loop payment, fare by distance, fare capping and automated senior discount eligibility verification (Monterey-Salinas Transit)
- Read an article in Mass Transit Magazine about this project.
- Automatic Vehicle Location hardware and GTFS-RT arrival predictions (Clean Air Express)
Cal-ITP intends to host demonstration projects on the following topics in the future.
- Fares, including fare media, policies, and interagency transfers
- Automated discount eligibility verification for Veterans and low-income riders
- Text-to-speech for stop and route names
- Text-to-speech for describing interior pathways
- Elevator and escalator status
- Shared infrastructure
- Extending the GTFS specification to describe CAD/AVL outputs and other backend data
- Automated Passenger Counting (APC) technology GTFS data for demand-responsive transit
- Visualization and validation tools to improve GTFS accuracy and consistency
If you represent an agency or vendor that would like to participate in one of the above projects, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.