Reconnecting Communities: Highways to Boulevards
Converting underutilized highways to restore community connectivity
San Francisco Embarcadero Freeway in 1989
San Francisco Embarcadero Freeway in 2015
In response to the adoption of Streets & Highways Code 104.3, the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is launching the Reconnecting Communities: Highways to Boulevards (RC:H2B) Pilot Program. $149 million was established in the FY 22/23 State Budget to plan for and fund the conversion of key underutilized highways in the State into multi-modal corridors to reconnect communities divided by transportation infrastructure. These legacy impacts will be addressed through community-based transportation planning, design, demolition, and/or reconstruction of city streets, parks, or other infrastructure.
- Restore community connectivity through the removal, retrofit, mitigation, or replacement of eligible transportation infrastructure facilities that create barriers to mobility, access, or economic development.
- Provide matching funding for potential federal grant funds.
- Advance health and equity outcomes for underserved communities by removing health, safety, and access barriers associated with transportation infrastructure within communities.
- Improve access to opportunity by improving travel options and reducing combined household transportation and housing costs for underserved communities.
- Create opportunities for implementation of affordable housing and furthering the advancement of fair housing.
- Prevent or minimize direct and indirect displacement effects from project implementation.
- Advance community-based or community-driven transportation planning.
Caltrans hosted four stakeholder workshops focused on soliciting input from the local agencies and stakeholders to participate in the development of the RC:H2B Program Guidelines.
Workshop #1 and #2 have been removed as they reflect old and outdated program information. Please see Workshops #3 and #4 for the current and updated program information.
- Program Guidelines Workshop #3 (held on 3/7/2023)
- Program Guidelines Workshop #4 (held on 5/9/2023)
Check back here for continual workshop information and/or join the RC:H2B Mailing List to receive timely updates and notifications. Sign up for the RC:H2B Mailing List.
Application forms will be available Late Spring/Early Summer 2023.
RC:H2B Program Milestones
The following is the projected timeline for the RC:H2B Program
|Draft Milestone Schedule||Date & Time|
|Program Guidelines Workshop #1||November 28, 2022, from 1:00pm to 2:30pm
|Program Guidelines Workshop #2||December 19, 2022, from 1:30pm to 3:00pm|
|Program Guidelines Workshop #3||March 7, 2023, from 9:30am to 11:00am|
|Program Guidelines Workshop #4||May 9, 2023, from 1:00pm to 2:30pm|
|Call for Communities Application||Late May/Early June 2023|
|Application Workshops||Summer 2023|
|Application Deadline||Late Summer/Early Fall 2023|
|Award Notification||Late 2023/Early 2024|
Sign up for the Reconnecting Communities: Highways to Boulevards Mailing List
For more information, please contact: CRCP@dot.ca.gov