Contaminants and Waste
The Caltrans Hazardous Waste Management program provides statewide assistance to districts with managing contaminants and wastes encountered on highway projects and Caltrans properties. Technical experts assist or supplement district staff in directing assessment, investigation or cleanup activities and developing guidelines for managing these activities. Other activities conducted include, ensuring that the hazardous waste sections of environmental documents prepared for CEQA and NEPA compliance are complete and that contract specifications addressing hazardous waste and substances prepared for construction activities are accurate. If you are seeking information on hazardous material spills, contact the Maintenance Webmaster, this link is not for reporting a spill of a hazardous material on a State highway. If you want to report a spill please call 911 or the California Department of Toxic Substances Control at 1-800-72TOXIC (1-800-728-6942).
- Aerially Deposited Lead (ADL) - Treatment and disposal of highway shoulder soil contaminated by ADL from past leaded fuel vehicle emissions.
- Naturally Occurring Asbestos (NOA) - Information, guidance, regulatory requirements and location maps for naturally occurring asbestos.
- Treated Wood Waste (TWW) - Regulatory requirements for disposing of TWW.
- Perchlorate - Requirements for perchlorate-containing materials such as road flares and blasting agents.
- Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) - Information on managing and disposing of ACM.