Chapter 4: Construction Details, Section 54: Waterproofing
Published: July 2019
- 4-5401 General
- 4-5402 Before Work Begins
- 4-5403 During the Course of Work
- 4-5404 Quality Control
- 4-5405 Payment
Section 54 Waterproofing
Waterproofing consists of sealing concrete surfaces to prevent the passage of water. Dampproofing consists of treating concrete surfaces to retard the passage or absorption of water or water vapor. Section 54, “Waterproofing,” of the Standard Specifications, provides for asphalt membrane waterproofing, dampproofing, preformed membrane waterproofing, deck seals, and slurry leveling courses. Other types of waterproofing may be specified in the special provisions.
Before work starts, do the following:
- Verify that Form CEM-3101, “Notice of Materials to Be Used,” includes waterproofing materials. Refer to Section 6-202, “Responsibilities for Acceptance of Manufactured or Fabricated Materials and Products” of this manual for additional information.
- Upon delivery of the waterproofing materials, note whether they are identified by marks or inspection tags.
- You may accept preformed membrane sheets on the basis of a certificate of compliance. Complete Form CEM-4102, “Material Inspected and Released on Job.”
During the course of work, do the following:
- Sample waterproofing materials in accordance with Section 6-1, “Sample Types and Frequencies,” of this manual.
- Ensure the contractor prepares surfaces as specified.
- Ensure weather conditions meet the specifications before applying primer or asphalt.
- Ensure the temperature of waterproofing asphalt is within the specified range.
- Inspect the operation to ensure the contractor applies materials as specified.
While specific levels of quality control sampling and testing for waterproofing are not included in Section 54 of the Standard Specifications, the contractor is responsible for providing quality control under Sections 5-1.01, “General,” and 6-2.02, “Quality Control,” of the Standard Specifications. Ensure the contractor is actively performing quality control on materials for waterproofing treatment throughout production operations by reviewing copies of quality control records, including quality control test results.
Field-measure areas unless the quantities are designated as final pay quantities.
Construction Manual Chapters