Pavement and Bridge Performance Management (PM2)
The Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21) transportation bill established federal regulation that requires the development of a Transportation Asset Management Plan (TAMP), and the implementation of Performance Management. These regulations require all states to utilize nationally defined performance measures for pavement and bridges on the National Highway System (NHS). The Bridge and Pavement Performance Management (PM 2) Final Rule, which is codified in 23 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 490, defines the following national performance measures for pavement and bridges:
- Percentage of Interstate pavements in Good condition
- Percentage of Interstate pavements in Poor condition
- Percentage of non-Interstate NHS pavements in Good condition
- Percentage of non-Interstate NHS pavements in Poor condition
- Percentage of NHS bridges in Good condition
- Percentage of NHS bridges in Poor condition
Definitions of Good and Poor can be found in 23 CFR Part 490 Subparts C and D.
The Pavement and Bridge Final Rule establishes the process for State Departments of Transportation (DOTs) and Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) to establish and report their pavement and bridge targets, and the process that the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) will use to assess whether State DOTs have met or made significant progress toward meeting their targets.
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is required under federal regulation (23 CFR Part 490.109)to establish NHS 2 and 4-year statewide performance targets. Caltrans must establish these targets for pavement and bridges by May 20, 2018, regardless of ownership. Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) have 180 days after Caltrans sets statewide targets to either support the statewide targets or establish their own.
- General pavement information can be found at: National Highway System (NHS)
For additional information on the NBI file, refer to the below documents.
- Recording and coding guide for the structure inventory
- NBI Formatting Instructions (PDF)
- Caltrans Structures Bridge Numbering Convention (PDF)
March 29, 2018, Pavement and Bridge Performance Management 2 (PM2) Webinar
- Webinar Recording (MP4)
- Webinar Slides (PDF)
- PM2 Condition Reporting Form (DOCX)
- 2 and 4-year Pavement and Bridge Calculator (XLSX)
- Caltrans Office of the Federal Liaison (PM1, 2 and 3)
Office of the Federal Liaison
- FHWA Performance Management Final Rules