Airport Improvement Program Matching Grant
Before applying for an Airport Improvement Program (AIP) Matching Grant, the project must be included in the most recently adopted Capital Improvement Plan. Projects not included in the current CIP are ineligible for State funding as cited in the California Code of Regulations Title 21, Division 2.5, Chapter 4 Article 3 Section 4062.1. In addition to this, per section 4059, “projects that have started or have been completed prior to State allocation, are ineligible.”
Effective May 24,2012, the State AIP Matching Rate has been set at 5.0 percent of the federal grant. Once a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) AIP Grant has been executed, the sponsoring agency may apply to the State for an AIP matching grant. Grants are processed in the order received and awarded until all funds are fully exhausted. Depending upon the number of grant applications received, processing time can range from two to three weeks.
Please allow adequate processing time before issuing a notice to proceed date to the contractor.
Pursuant to Public Utilities Code, Sections 21681-21684 and Section 4067 of the California Aid to Airports Program (CAAP) Regulations, the AIP Matching application package must include:
- Completed Form DOA-0012 - State Matching Grant Application for FAA AIP (PDF).
- Completed Form DOA-0007 - CAAP Certification (PDF).
- Local government approval (AIP Match Resolution or minute order - Sample [PDF]) as described in CAAP Regulations, Section 4067.
- FAA grant agreement with FAA and sponsor signatures.
- California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) documentation (Note: National Environmental Policy Act clearance does not satisfy CEQA requirements).
- Sketch of project location and dimensions.
AIP Matching Grant Payment Request
To request an AIP Matching Grant payment, please provide the following:
- A copy of the FAA Form 271. (This is the form used to request payment from the FAA.) Highlighting the dollar amounts on the Form 271 and the bank statement will expedite the payment process.
- Proof of fund received from the FAA (such as the bank statement showing the electronic deposit.
- A cover letter (Cover Letter for AIP Payment - Sample [PDF]) that includes the State grant number, designation of billing number or final, and the amount requested.
Submit your application or payment request to:
California Department of Transportation
Division of Aeronautics – MS 40
P.O. Box 942847
Sacramento, CA 94274-0001