District 9 Encroachment Permits

What is an Encroachment?

An "encroachment" is defined in Section 660 of the California Streets and Highways Code as “any tower, pole, pole line, pipe, pipeline, fence, billboard, stand or building, or any structure, object of any kind or character not particularly mentioned in the section, or special event, which is in, under, or over any portion of the State highway rights of way. “Special event” means any street festival, sidewalk sale, community-sponsored activity, or community-approved activity.”

When is an Encroachment Permit required?

An encroachment permit must be obtained for all proposed activities related to the placement of encroachments within, under, or over the State highway rights of way. Some examples of work requiring an encroachment permit are: utilities, excavations, encroachment renewals, advertisements (when allowed by statute), vegetation planting or trimming, surveys, mail boxes, driveways, installation or removal of tire chains for compensation, special events, and commercial filming activities.

How/where do I apply for an Encroachment Permit and what are the fees to process my application?

Applicants must complete a Standard Encroachment Permit Application (TR-0100), attach supporting documentation such as: plans, location map, environmental documentation, letter of authorization, surety bonds, liability insurance, any applicable fees, etc. and submit them to the appropriate District Encroachment Permits Office having jurisdictional authority over the proposed encroachment site.

Fees vary depending on the type of encroachment and the amount of staff hours needed to review and inspect it. Typically a deposit is required when the application package is submitted. Please contact the appropriate District Encroachment Permits Office for details.

District 9 Encroachment Permit Office

The Caltrans District 9 Encroachment Permit Office handles all of the encroachment issues in Inyo, Mono and Eastern Kern Counties. Caltrans District 9 does not handle transportation permits.

District 9 Encroachment Permit Office contact information:

  • Phone:760-937-0791
  • Fax: 760-872-5215
  • Office location and mailing address: 500 S. Main Street, Bishop, CA 93514
  • Walk-in Hours of Availability: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
    •  Please call ahead when scheduling an in-person meeting with the Permits Department
  • More Permit Information