August 1, 2020
Dear Chain Installer Permit Applicant:
In Reference to your request to be included in the 2020/2021 Chain Installer Permit program, please indicate on the attached form your chain installation route preference. This form must be postmarked to Caltrans office located at 1910 Orange Tree Lane #300, Redlands, CA 92374 no later than September 30, 2020. A “Certificate of Mailing” from the USPS is recommended and will be required to resolve any disputes. A lottery will be conducted for all positions on all routes. There will be no preference to past permit holders. Trading of routes between applicants will be allowed upon Superintendent Approval only.
Permittee’s will be allowed to work only one out of six designated areas, as follows:
- Route 018, from San Bernardino to Lucerne Valley, including Snow Valley (20 permit Positions).
- Route 018, Big Bear Dam for down bound traffic (10 permit positions).
- Route 330, from State Route 210 to State Route 18 (25 permit positions).
- Route 038, from Bryant Street to Hatchery Rd(20 permit positions).
- Route 038, Hatchery Rd for down bound traffic (10 Permit positions).
- Route 138, from State Route 002 to State Route 015 AND Route 002, San Bernardino County (5 permits, good on both routes).
No Chaining will be allowed on State Route 015.
2020/2021 Caltrans Chain Installer Regulations require permit revocation when a citation is issued by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). Testing is required for all new chain installer applicants only. Chain installers that held a chain installer permit in the past do not need to test. They are required to attend origentation Saturday October 31, 2020 and bring proof of past permit. New applicants need to successfully pass a written and performance test. The Caltrans Maintenance Department will conduct this year’s chain installer test for all new applicants only.
Testing is scheduled for new chain installers only on Saturday October 17, 2020 at 9:00 AM, at the Dry Creek Maintenance Station Located at 32821 State Route 018, Running Springs, CA 92382.
Please bring any equipment that you will be using to install chains to assist you in completing the performance portion of the chain installer’s test. The gates will be closed promptly at 9:00 A.M.
If you are successful in completing the above-mentioned tests, you will be required to attend the chain installer orientation session/chain installer lottery on Saturday, October 31, 2020 at 9:00 AM at the Dry Creek Maintenance Station located at 32821 State Route 018, Running Springs, CA 92382. All chain installer permits will be issued at the orientation session on October 31, 2020. Applicants who do not attend this orientation session will not be eligible for a permit during the 2020/2021 season.
In order to receive your permit, vest, and photo identification badge, we will need to see your valid California driver’s license. You will also need to provide your social security number and pay the required permit fee of $164.00 reusing old vest, $200.00 for a new/replacement vest that will be payable to Caltrans, by cashier’s check, or money order only.
2019/2020 Chain Installer Permit Holders need to bring their current vest to the orientation if they choose to reuse them for the 2020/2021 season.
2020/2021 Chain Installers Preference Sheet. Please Select only one from the list by placing an “x” next to your preference. Fill out completely and return this form by September 30, 2020:
- __ Route 018, from San Bernardino to Lucerne Valley, including Snow Valley (20 permit Positions).
- __ Route 018, Big Bear Dam for down bound traffic (10 permit positions).
- __ Route 330, from State Route 210 to State Route 18 (25 permit positions).
- __ Route 038, from Bryant Street to Hatchery Rd (20 permit positions).
- __ Route 038, Hatchery Rd for down bound traffic (10 Permit positions).
- __ Route 138, from State Route 002 to State Route 015 AND Route 002, San Bernardino County (5 permits, good on both routes).
If you have any questions, please contact the Caltrans Superintendents’ Office at (909) 867-2102. Should your call be answered by our voice mail please leave your name, telephone number and the best time to contact you.
(RETAIN THIS LETTER FOR YOUR RECORDS)
Mountain Area Superintendent
District 8, San Bernardino Mountains