The Marin-Sonoma Narrows Project
The Marin Sonoma Narrow extends 16-miles from State Route 37 in Marin County to Corona Road in Santa Rosa. The larger project has been divided into smaller projects to correspond with funding availability. Eleven projects have been completed; two are under construction, and one will begin the future when funding becomes available.
The ABCs of the Project
The projects were assigned names (Segment A, B or C) according to the location of the project rather than when the construction started.
- Segment A projects - Novato from south of State Route 37 to Atherton Avenue.
- Segment B projects - Novato from Atherton Avenue to Route 116 in Petaluma
- Segment C projects - Petaluma from State Route 116 to the Corona Road
Projects Currently Under Construction Now
- MSN B2 Phase II: Construct northbound and southbound HOV lanes between Petaluma Boulevard South and the Marin/Sonoma County line and stripe for HOV lanes from Petaluma Boulevard South to Route 116.
- MSN C2: Construct northbound and southbound HOV lanes through Petaluma, replace Petaluma Bridge, and build sound walls in Petaluma.
Future Projects, Unfunded (Timelines are Tentative)
- B1 Phase II: Funding anticipated after 2019: Construct northbound and southbound HOV lanes between the Marin County/Sonoma County line and Atherton Avenue
- MSN A1, Fall 2011 - Winter 2012: Added northbound HOV lane from SR 37 to Atherton Ave (3.2 miles). Added southbound HOV lane from SR 37 to Novato Creek (1.6 miles).
- MSN A2, June 2013 - Winter 2013: Extended southbound HOV lane from Novato Creek to Franklin Overhead.
- MSN A3, April 2013 - Fall 2014: Extend northbound HOV lane from Atherton to 1.4 miles south of Redwood Landfill Interchange.
- MSN B1, April 2013 - Spring 2016: Modify Redwood Landfill interchange and frontage roads and provide new pedestrian and bicycle facility.
- MSN B2, April 2013- Winter 2016: Modify Petaluma Blvd South interchange and frontage roads, replace Petaluma River Bridge.
- MSN B3, Spring 2016 - Winter 2019: Realign US 101 at San Antonio Road to upgrade roadway profile and alignment.
- MSN C1, 2011 - Spring 2014: Construct new East Washington northbound onramp and modify interchange.
- MSN C3, Spring 2013 - Winter 2015: Replace the northbound U.S 101 bridge and widen southbound bridge over State Route 116 to accommodate future HOV lanes in both directions. Re-construct the northbound on-ramp/off-ramp and sound wall along the northbound on-ramp to U.S. 101.