I-80 Gilman Interchange Improvement Project
Caltrans and the Alameda County Transportation Commission (Alameda CTC) in cooperation with the cities of Berkeley and Albany are scheduled to begin construction in May 2021 on the Gilman Interchange Improvement Project at the Interstate 80 Gilman Street exit in Berkeley.
The project will enhance safety and improve traffic operations along Gilman Street between West Frontage Road and 5th Street through the I-80 Interchange. The main project components are two roundabouts at Gilman Street intersections on both sides of I-80, as well as a new bicycle/pedestrian overcrossing over I-80 and bicycle facilities at and near the interchange. The project will also close the gap in the Bay Trail at the west end of Gilman Street and create a dedicated two-way cycle track along Gilman Street from the interchange to Fourth Street.
- Simplify and improve navigation, mobility, and traffic operations on Gilman Street between the West Frontage Road and 5th Street through the I-80 interchange
- Reduce congestion, vehicle queues, and traffic, bicycle, and pedestrian conflicts
- Improve local and regional bicycle and pedestrian facilities through the I-80/Gilman Street interchange
- Enhance safety for drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists at I-80/Gilman Street interchange
The Gilman Street Interchange Project will be constructed in two separate construction contracts:
1. Gilman Street Pedestrian Overcrossing Project – Phase 1
Construct a bicycle/pedestrian overcrossing south of Gilman Street similar to the crossing over I-80 at University Avenue, begins in May 2021. It will involve ramp closures on I-80, street closures and brief overnight closures of I-80 in one direction at a time. Work on this phase is expected to conclude in 2023.
Detailed Design: July 2018-December 2020
Right-of-Way: July 2018-December 2020
Construction: July 2021 - Spring 2023
2. Gilman Street Roundabouts Project – Phase 2
The second phase, building a double roundabout, is scheduled to begin in November 2021 and complete in 2023, weather permitting. Periodic closures of Gilman Street, local streets and freeway ramps will be necessary to construct the project. Work on this phase is expected to conclude in 2023.
Detailed Design: July 2019- June 2021
Right-of-Way: July 2019 – June 2021
Construction: January 2022 - Fall 2024
Alameda County Transportation Commission – Gilman St Interchange Improvement Project Page
For additional information, contact Public Information Officer Janis Mara at Janis.Mara@dot.ca.gov.
Additional information can be requested by leaving a voicemail at this Project Hotline at 510-286-6080.