District: 4 – Oakland
Contact: RocQuel Johnson
Overnight Closures Of Northbound US-101 Central Off-Ramp in San Rafael
Marin County – On Monday, February 8, 2021, the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) begun the US-101 Central San Rafael Bridge Replacement Project (Harbor Bay Bridge Project) in the City of San Rafael. Using new and innovative construction technology, the project will perform removal and replacement on the current bridge footprint, located at the northbound off-ramp on US Highway 101.
Additional project work will include construction improvements at the 2nd and Irwin Street intersection as well.
There will be a series of full ramp closures throughout the project, three weekend full closures (55 hours), along with a significant amount of temporary lane shifts. Motorists are advised to drive with caution and follow all posted directional signs.
For project information and updates https://dot.ca.gov/caltrans-near-me/district-4/d4- projects/d4-san-rafael-101-bridge-offramp.
The project is scheduled to be completed in November/December of 2021.
Residents and businesses may temporarily experience increased noise levels during this operation.
Weekly Detour Schedule
Monday – Thursday
- Two (2) lane closures (one lane will remain open) from 9 pm -11 pm
- Full ramp closure (all lanes closed) 11:01 pm – 6 am the following morning.
- Two (2) lane closures (one lane will remain open) from 9 pm – 11:50 pm
- Full ramp closure (all lanes closed) 11:55 pm – 6 am Saturday.
- Two (2) lane closures (one lane will remain open) from 8 pm – 11:50 pm.
- Full ramp closure (all lanes closed) 11:55 pm – 8 am Sunday.
- Two (2) lane closures (one lane will remain open) from 8 pm –11 pm.
- Full ramp closure (all lanes closed) 11:01 pm – 6 am Monday.
(for visual view, please see attached detour map for both ramp closures)
DETOUR PLAN: Northbound (NB)Route 101 Off-Ramp Closure at Central
- Continuing along Northbound US Highway 101-
- Take the NB Loop (off-ramp) to N. San Pedro Rd.
- Turn Right onto N. San Pedro Rd.
- Make another Right onto Merrydale Rd.
- Connect with Southbound (SB) US Highway 101 until Wesson Ave off-ramp exit.
- Continue on Hetherton St.
- Turn Left onto 2nd St.
DETOUR PLAN: Northbound (NB) Route 101 Off-Ramp Closure at Central San Rafael.
- Via Francisco Blvd. exit, make a Right onto Bellam Blvd; followed by a Left onto Francisco Blvd.
- Then, right on Grand Ave.
Standard traffic control measures will include Traffic Cones, Barricades, Crash Cushion Trucks, and portable changeable message signs (PCMS's). California Highway Patrol (CHP) will also be on location, patrolling the scene and enforcing traffic ordinances.