Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Traffic Advisories
Multiple ramps, lane, and ped/bike path closures scheduled along I-80 and U.S. 101 in San Francisco due to Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation 2023 Summit
In cooperation with the California Highway Patrol, and in coordination with our federal, state, and local law enforcement partners, Caltrans is implementing enhanced safety measures throughout our highway systems in and around San Francisco during the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) 2023 summit starting Monday November 13.
The U.S. Secret Service recently designated the APEC summit as a National Special Security Event, requiring heightened security measures in and around the city of San Francisco.
At the request of federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies, Caltrans will be implementing the following closures to ensure the safety and security of all attendees and residents:
Closures of 4th Street off-ramp from Eastbound I-80 and 5th Street off-ramp from Westbound I-80
- Wednesday, November 15 through Friday, November 17, 2023.
- 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM (Daily).
San Francisco / Oakland Bay Bridge Closures of #1 (left) lane on Eastbound I-80 and #5 (right) lane on Westbound I-80
- Tuesday, November 14 through Friday, November 17, 2023.
- 4 Day Closure, beginning 11/14 at 5:00 AM, ending 11/17 at 9:00 PM.
- No impacts to transit bus services.
- Treasure Island on-/off-ramps, Fremont Street off-ramp remain open.
- The bike path will be closed Tuesday 11/14 at 5am through 11/17 at 9pm (sameas lane closures).
- Controlled access to Bay Bridge Ped/Bike Path. CHP will meter entry exit at bothend of the path for residents and workers on Treasure Island/Yerba Buena Island.
Closure of NB U.S. 101 Dana Bowers Vista Point off-ramp
- Monday, November 13 @ 8am through Saturday, November 18 (Six Day Closure).
- No access to Dana Bowers Vista Point for vehicles, bicycles, or pedestrians.
- Pathways connecting the east sidewalk to Sausalito and the Marin Headlands will remain open for pedestrian and bicycle use.
- Golden Gate Bridge sidewalks will remain open to pedestrians and bicyclists during regular hours throughout the event.
California Highway Patrol officers will be present to enforce these closures. We understand that these closures may cause temporary inconvenience, but they are essential to ensure the safety and security of this significant event and to promote immediacy and availability for emergency response. We encourage you to plan your travels, accordingly, allow extra time for your commute, and consider using alternative routes or public transportation during this period.
Your patience and cooperation are greatly appreciated as we work to ensure the success of the APEC 2023 summit and the safety of our community.