District: District 3 - Marysville
Contact: Kevin Murphy
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Chico — The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is offering a free Dump Day for residents and visitors to the area on Saturday, June 18 at the Caltrans Maintenance Yard in Chico.
This event is part of the Clean California program to encourage responsible trash-handling practices and disposing of waste materials safely and properly.
The free Dump Day will take place from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Caltrans will have staff on site to accept household waste and approved debris at no charge at the Chico Maintenance Yard, 2535 Notre Dame Blvd., Chico, CA 95928. The event may end early if capacity is reached.
Dump Day collection is limited to household trash, mattresses, and household appliances. Additionally, participants are able to drop off up to four tires per vehicle. The following items will not be accepted at this event:
- Hazardous materials, including batteries, paints, oils, chemicals, pesticides, smoke detectors, and fluorescent lights.
- E-waste, including televisions, video equipment, computer monitors, or electronic devices of any kind.
- Concrete, dirt, rocks, brick, asphalt, or sand.
Caltrans reminds motorists to properly secure and tarp all cargo loads prior to driving. Transporting unsecured loads is unsafe, illegal, and pollutes California's roads and waterways. Loads that are not tied down/secured by tarps/nets or enclosed will not be accepted.
Tips for securing your load:
- Completely cover loads with tarps or cargo nets. Debris can escape from gaps.
- Remove loose material and trash before driving.
- Don't overload; keep materials level with your truck or trailer bed.
- Place light items lower, tie large items to the vehicle for traffic safety.
Part of Governor Gavin Newsom’s California Comeback Plan, Clean California is a sweeping $1.1 billion, multiyear cleanup effort to remove trash, create thousands of jobs and engage communities to transform roadsides and restore pride in public spaces.
Visit Clean California for more information.
| CleanCalifornia.com | #CleanCA | #BeWorkZoneAlert | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube |