District: District 3 - Marysville
Contact: Dennis Keaton
Phone: (916) 825-5252
Contact: Deanna Shoopman
Phone: (530) 632-0080
For Immediate Release
Sacramento County — The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), Norcal Paving a joint venture of A. Teichert and Son Inc. and Granite Construction Companies is scheduled to continue a series of partial highway closures this weekend for the Interstate 5 Corridor Enhancement (FixSac5) Project.
Crews are scheduled to close two lanes at a time on northbound I-5 from Sutterville Road to the U.S. Highway 50 connector and on southbound I-5 near 25th Avenue. Various ramps are scheduled for closure. Construction work is scheduled to begin 9 p.m. Friday, August 20 through 5 a.m. Monday, August 23. Crews are scheduled to perform pavement work, striping, drainage, and other construction activities.
Signed detours will be in place but motorists are encouraged to use State Route 99 as an alternate route. Motorists still wishing to use I-5 over the weekend should expect delays and plan for additional travel time. During past extended closures, motorists have experienced 20-minute to an hour delay so please plan accordingly. The speed limit has been reduced to 55 MPH through the construction zone 24/7. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) will be patrolling the project site ticketing motorists who are not adhering to the posted speed limit signs. The closures and speed limit reductions are necessary for the safety of motorists and workers. Please “Be Work Zone Alert” – someone’s loved one is at work.
9 p.m. Friday, August 20 through 5 a.m. Monday, August 23.
- Northbound I-5 from Sutterville Road to the U.S. Hwy 50 Interchange
- Southbound I-5 near 25th Avenue
- NB I-5 to U.S. Hwy 50 Connector Ramps
- On-ramp from Sutterville Road to NB I-5.
- Off-ramp from NB I-5 to Broadway.
- Off-ramp from NB I-5 to Q Street
- For NB I-5 to U.S. Hwy 50 Connector Ramps or for WB I-80- Continue NB on I-5 to WB I-80 San Francisco (Exit 522). Continue WB on I-80 for EB U.S. Hwy 50 Sacramento (Exit 82).
- For NB I-5 Off-Ramp to Broadway- Continue NB I-5 to Richards Blvd (Exit 520) and turn back to SB I-5 to EB U.S. Hwy 50 Connector South Lake Tahoe and SR99 (Exit 518) stay left to 50 East/ 99 Fresno, to X Street/ Broadway Exit.
- For NB I-5 Off-Ramp to Q Street- Continue NB I-5 to Richards Blvd (Exit 520) and turn back to SB I-5 and to Q Street (Exit 519A).
- For Sutterville Rd- Use SB I-5 to Seamas Blvd (Exit 515) to turn around back to NB I-5.
Motorists traveling through the work zone should expect lane restrictions and should be aware of commercial work vehicles traveling in and out of the area.
Nearby residents can expect loud construction type noises and commercial truck back-up beeping noises during day and nighttime hours.
So far, crews have added sound walls in 2020 and are scheduled to repair 67-lane miles of roadway, build 23 miles of carpool lanes, and improve the existing electrical and drainage systems along this corridor.
This $370 million project includes $48.3 million in funding from Senate Bill (SB) 1, the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017. SB 1 provides $5 billion in transportation funding annually split between the state and local agencies. Road projects progress through construction phases more quickly based on the availability of SB 1 funds, including projects that are partially funded by SB 1. For more information about other transportation projects funded by SB 1, visit RebuildingCA.
For more information on this project text “FixSac5” to 74121 or visit FixSac5. Caltrans encourages the public to follow construction updates on Twitter and Facebook @FixSac5.
The project is expected to be completed by December 2022.
Work is scheduled to begin as listed but subject to change due to traffic incidents, weather, availability of equipment and/ or materials, and construction related issues.
Check out “Caltrans QuickMap” for current road conditions or download the free QuickMap app on the App Store or Google Play. Motorists also can call the California Highway Information Network automated phone service at 1-800-427-ROAD (7623).