District: District 3 - Marysville
Contact: Raquel Borrayo
Phone: (530) 634-7640; (530) 701-5209
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PLACER/NEVADA COUNTIES – Caltrans is advising motorists to expect extended delays on Interstate 80 eastbound and westbound between Colfax and the Nevada state line for the duration of the 2020 construction season.
Highway construction is underway on I-80, with several roadway improvement projects currently requiring lane closures for interstate, shoulder and embankment improvements. Motorists traveling through the region should anticipate traffic delays in excess of an hour in some construction areas.
Caltrans reminds motorists to Be Work Zone Alert and slow in construction zones for the safety of travelers and crews performing these essential improvements. The California Highway Patrol will also be monitoring traffic speeds at several construction sites for safety.
Interstate 80 roadway projects include the following improvements:
- Colfax Culvert Rehabilitation Project: A $5.3 million project to rehabilitate 22 deteriorated and damaged roadway drainage systems between the Canyon Way Overcrossing and the Rollins Lake Road Overcrossing. The project will improve water flow, reduce the risk of drainage plugging, eliminate embankment erosion and reduce maintenance costs. Completion is expected in fall 2020.
- Bridge Polyester Concrete Overlay Replacement Project: A $6.6 million structure maintenance project to replace polyester concrete overlays and joint seals on 11 bridges from Alta to Floriston. The project will extend the life of the bridge decks by sealing them off to moisture and fix rutting in the concrete overlays caused by heavy freight and vehicle travel. Completion is expected in spring 2021.
- Concrete Slab Replacement Project: A $3.5 million project between Baxter and Blue Canyon to replace existing concrete slabs that have deteriorated and cracked. Individual slab replacement provides a smoother ride for motorists and extends the life of the interstate. Completion is anticipated in fall 2020.
- Kingvale/Soda Springs Curb and Gutter Project: An $11.3 million project at various locations from Cisco Grove to Soda Springs to repair and fortify the existing I-80 shoulders and embankments and install new concrete gutters. The project will minimize future maintenance repairs and prevent further damage to the existing roadway caused by melting snow and snow plow activities. Completion is anticipated in October 2020.
- Farad Ditch Slope Stabilization Project: A $12.9 million ditch slope stabilization project will restore the Farad Ditch by extending the collection area. Construction will also include regrading of the slope by means of roadway excavation, rock excavation, and controlled blasting. Completion is expected in summer 2021.
Weather or unexpected events may delay or prolong the work. The department will issue construction updates on Twitter @CaltransDist3 and on Facebook at CaltransDistrict3. For real-time traffic, click on Caltrans’ QuickMap or download the QuickMap app from the App Store or Google Play.