SR-94/125 Interchange Project
Improving Freeway Access
Caltrans proposes to construct a direct freeway-to-freeway
connector from southbound State Route 125 (SR-125) to eastbound
State Route 94 (SR-94). The project extends more than two miles.
The new connector would pass under Panorama Drive, Echo Drive,
existing SR-125, Campo Road Overcrossing, the existing SR-94
Connectors to and from SR-125, and the eastbound off ramp to
Bancroft Drive. The new connector joins eastbound SR-94 west of
the Bancroft Drive Undercrossing.
Two auxiliary lanes will be added to the project. The first one would
be constructed along southbound SR-125 between Lemon Avenue
and the new connector to eastbound SR-94, which requires
reconstructing the Mariposa Street overcrossing. A second auxiliary
lane would be added along eastbound SR-94 between Bancroft
Drive and Kenwood Drive, which requires widening the Bancroft
The portion of southbound SR-125 between the Lemon Avenue on-ramp and the Spring Street off-ramp carries approximately 83,400 vehicles a day with an average of 20,550 vehicles a day exiting at Spring Street. The proposed new freeway-to-freeway connector would eliminate the need for southbound SR-125 traffic to use Spring Street to connect to eastbound SR-94 and would reduce delays for the freeway and local street network.
The proposed project is expected to reduce the volume of traffic exiting from southbound SR-125 at Spring Street by more than 15,000 vehicles a day.
Funding and Schedule
The estimated total construction cost of the project is $108 million.
The environmental studies were completed summer 2015 at a cost
of $6.8 million with a combination of funds from the State
Transportation Congestion Relief Program (TCRP-$5 million) and
TransNet funds (1.8 million) from the San Diego Association of
Governments. Project design began spring 2019 with funding provided by the State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP).
Right-of-Way acquisition and construction will be completed as funding becomes available.
- Provide a freeway-to-freeway connection from southbound SR-125 to eastbound SR-94.
- Reduce traffic congestion on local streets and
- Improve traffic movement in the project area.
Project design began spring 2019 and will be completed summer 2022.
Exhibits from the July 28th Public Meeting
- 2020 Major Construction Map – Imperial County
- 2020 Major Construction Map – San Diego
- I-15 Express Lanes
- Interstate 8 / Imperial Avenue Interchange
- I-8 Update (Imperial County)
- San Diego – Coronado Bay Bridge Suicide Deterrent Project
- SR-11 / Otay Mesa East Port of Entry
- SR-111 Niland Geyser Mitigation Project
- SR-163/Friars Road Interchange Project
- State Route 67 Corridor
- SR-94/125 Interchange Project