- Title VI Workshops
- 2016 Call for Projects Letter
- 2016 Pre-Award Letter
- 2016 Program of Projects
- MPO/RTPA 2016 Certification and Assurances
- Black Cat Follow-up Webinar
- Black Cat EGM Questions and Answers
Department of Transportation
Division of Mass Transportation, MS #39
P.O. Box 942874 Sacramento, CA 94274-0001
PHONE: (916) 654-8811
FAX: (916) 654-9366
Rural Transit & Intercity Bus -- FTA Section 5311 and 5311(f)James Ogbonna
The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5311 formula funding program is authorized by 49 United States Code (U.S.C) Section 5311. The 5311 program provides supplemental funding for public transit service in non-urbanized areas which have populations of fewer than 50,000 residents, as quantified by the United States Census Bureau. The Job Access and Reverse Commute (JARC) program has been merged into the 5311 program. Projects formerly eligible under the JARC program are now eligible under the 5311 program.
The FTA apportions formula funds to each state on an annual basis. The California Department of Transportation, Division of Rail and Mass Transportation (DRMT) is the designated grantee for California. The DRMT Rural Transit and Intercity Bus Branch manages the 5311 and 5311(f) programs.
5311 funding is apportioned as follows:
- 75% Regional Apportionment -- This funding share is apportioned to non-urban areas based on the size of the rural population. This apportionment is distributed to Transportation Planning Agencies (TPA) whose county or region contains a non-urbanized area as identified by the United States Census Bureau. The TPA submits a Program of Projects that identifies subrecipients and projects to receive Section 5311 funds in their planning area. This must be completed by December 31st of each year. Additionally, subrecipients must complete and submit a Section 5311 Program Application and all other required submittals by the appropriate deadline.
- 15% Intercity Bus Program -- This funding share is apportioned to the Rural Intercity Bus Program (known as FTA 5311(f)). For more information on 5311(f), please contact: Ronaldo Hu at (916) 657-3955 or Katherine Pongratz at (916) 654-9955.
- 10% State Administrative Expenses -- This funding share is apportioned to State Transportation Agencies in order to fund the administration of the 5311 & 5311(f) grant programs.
Guidance regarding the Section 5311 program is provided in the Section 5311 Handbook and Guide "Updates pending on EGM, FAST ACT, and SMR".
DRMT Rural Transit and Intercity Bus Branch staff members are available to provide assistance to sub recipients and other stakeholders. Please consult the map below to obtain the contact information for the appropriate staff member to contact based on Caltrans District. In addition, DRMT has personnel in eleven Caltrans District Offices (District Transit Representatives). District Transit Representatives are responsible for overseeing the Section 5311 programs at the local level through planning and the provision of technical assistance to Transportation Planning Agencies (TPA) and transit operators.
Managed by Panther International, the BlackCat Grants Management System is a comprehensive system that allows grantors to streamline the grant management process, allows for more accountability for the grantor as well as the grantees while also having a larger impact with grant funds.
The BlackCat Management System Support Team can be reached at the following: (888)238-9707.
5311(f) INTERCITY BUS PROGRAM Related Documents
- Successful 5311(f) Applicants – FY2016-17
- California Rural Intercity Bus Study Final Report
- Project Quarterly Performance & Accountability Report
- Greyhound Lines Inc. Time Tables Affecting California
- Russell's National Motor Coach Guide Contact Information
- California Intercity Bus Network Map
- California Intercity Bus Network - Existing Network Provider Map
- Greyhound Rural Feeder Service Program
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Regulations, Digest 311
- Sample Service Schedule Matrix
- Sample Map Illustrating Location and Relationship
- Sample Fiscal Strategy
FTA Guidance, Policy and Procedures
- FTA Master Agreement
- Air Quality Analysis CMAQ Projects
- Force Account for Preventative Maintenance
- Narrowband Public Notice
- Amendment Request Form
- State Management Plan
Required Program Documents
- FTA 2015 Annual Certifications and Assurances
- Disadvantage Business Enterprise Implementation Agreement
- Disadvantage Business Enterprise Twice Yearly Awards/Commitment and Actual Payment Form
- Preliminary Environmental Survey (Required for construction projects)
- Accident Report Form
- Drug & Alcohol Survey
- Standard Agreement
- Instructions for filling out Charter Services Quarterly Report Form New
- Charter Services Quarterly Report Form New
- Route Deviation ADA Checklist New
Inspection / Monitoring Related Documents
Training and Powerpoint Presentations
- Procurement Handbook
- Disadvantage Business Enterprise Powerpoint
- National Transit Database Rural Reporting Powerpoint
- District Transit Reprentative Training Powerpoint
- 5311 Frequently Asked Questions
- Caltrans Drug and Alcohol Resource Materials
- Procurement & Grants Management Office
- Office of Management and Budget Circular A-87
- Office of Management and Budget Circular A-133
- National Rural Transit Assistance Program
- FTA Section 5311 Program Circular 9040.1F
- National Transit Database Website
- 5311 & 5311(f) Archives
- ARRA Archive
Send comments and suggestions via email to Branch Chief - FTA Section 5311 & Intercity Bus Program