The Caltrans' Single-Trip Application and Routing System (STARS) is an electronic method for customers to obtain single-trip oversize/overweight transportation permits. The original STARS has been replaced with a web-based permit application system known as STARS2. Caltrans uses the same review process for a permit application submitted through STARS2 and a permit application sent through a fax machine.
A special feature in STARS2 allows customers to use the CalRoute – Route Clearing Database to generate a route. The database verifies the route is clear of any height and/or weight violations. The customer then submits a single-trip application along with their generated route to Caltrans for review and approval. STARS2 significantly improves turnaround time for customers and streamlines application processing for Caltrans. Caltrans' permit writers can approve or deny applications and return the processed application more efficiently. The customer can then print their approved permit application from their STARS2 account.
STARS2 permit fees are the same as the current single-trip permit, $16.00, and billed on a monthly basis through the Caltrans debtor account.STARS2 Features:
- Templates allow for quick set up, easy editing, and reduces data entry.
- Route clearing database provides current route restrictions.
- Customers can print approved permits and reports.
- Security to protect customer's privacy.
- A Caltrans debtor account.
- Internet access.
Customers interested in submitting permits with STARS2 will need a debtor account prior to registering for a STARS2 account.
Interactive Application Instructions:
Use the instructions below to learn how to complete a STARS2 permit application, add additional user profiles, manage trucking companies, and manage the permit queue.
- STARS2 Permit Application Instructions
- STARS2 Adding Permit Agents
- STARS2 Adding, Editing, and Deleting Trucking Companies
- STARS2 Editing Company Information
- STARS2 Permit Queue Grid Features
All STARS2 permit applications must be submitted using the new CalRoute - Route Clearing Database. Visit the CalRoute resources page for more information.
- CalRoute Resources
- CalRoute - Route Clearing Database (Direct link. MUST use Chrome or Firefox to use the database.)
For more information, contact STARS IT Technical Support Team.
For general information regarding STARS2 and/or questions on extralegal permits, contact the Transportation Permits Office.
For new STARS2 customer training, contact STARS Training Team.
Transportation Permits Links
- TPermits HOMEPAGE | Office of CVO
- CalRoute-Route Clearing Database
- Application Forms & Accompaniments
- Interactive Application Instructions
- Transportation Permits Manual
- New Policies & Revisions
- Extralegal Weight Charts
- Extralegal Load Network (ELLN)
- Pilot Car Maps
- STAA Pilot Car Maps
- Red Route Summary Table
Permits Issuance Branch
1823 14th St., Sacramento, CA 95811-7119
Main Phone: (916) 322-1297
Single Trip Fax: (916) 322-4966
Annual/Repetitive Fax: (916) 445-0469
Variance Fax: (916) 322-1505
Office Hours: 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri
(Closed on State Holidays except ML King Day, Cesar Chavez Day, & Veterans Day)
Walk-In Hours: 8am-3pm, Mon-Fri
(Closed on State Holidays)
Special Conditions for Holiday Travel
2018 Holiday Office Info
After-Hours Permit Emergencies: (916) 653-3442
Emergency Permit Procedures