Contact Transportation Permits
- During normal office hours, please call: (916) 322-1297
- Permits Issuance Phone/Fax #'s, and Hours of Operation
- Information on After-Hour Emergencies
- HOW TO APPLY for an oversize/overweight permit.
- Single Trip Permit Application | Interactive Instructions
or use the optional Single Trip Permit Application (Fieldless Form, no electronic fields)
- Annual Permit Application | Interactive Instructions
or use the optional Annual Permit Application (Fieldless Form, no electronic fields)
- Repetitive Permit - vehicles less than 12'-0" wide, 14'-6" high, and 90'-0" long hauling loads for one way travel from point A to point B.
- STARS2 Process - web-based permit application system.
- Variance Permit - vehicles greater than 15'-0" wide, 17'-0" high, and 135'-0" long, or on special hauling equipment which exceeds the Department's standard method of weight classification.
- Motorsports - Effective January 01, 2015, SB 1175 will extend the current motorsports exemption and would require a permit issued by the Department.
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has discretionary authority with respect to highways under its jurisdiction and may, upon application and if good cause appears, issue a special permit to operate or move a vehicle or combination of vehicles or special mobile equipment of a size or weight of vehicle or load exceeding the maximum limitations specified in the California Vehicle Code. The Caltrans Transportation Permits Issuance Branch is responsible for the issuance of these special transportation permits for oversize/overweight vehicles on the State Highway System.
Transportation Permits Links
- TPermits HOMEPAGE | Office of CVO
- CalRoute-Route Clearing Database
- Application Forms & Accompaniments
- Interactive Application Instructions
- Transportation Permits Manual
- New Policies & Revisions
- Extralegal Weight Charts
- Extralegal Load Network (ELLN)
- Pilot Car Maps
- STAA Pilot Car Maps
- Red Route Summary Table
Permits Issuance Branch
1823 14th St., Sacramento, CA 95811-7119
Main Phone: (916) 322-1297
Single Trip Fax: (916) 322-4966
Annual/Repetitive Fax: (916) 445-0469
Variance Fax: (916) 322-1505
Office Hours: 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri
(Closed on State Holidays except ML King Day, Cesar Chavez Day, & Veterans Day)
Walk-In Hours: 8am-3pm, Mon-Fri
(Closed on State Holidays)
Special Conditions for Holiday Travel
2017 Holiday Office Info
After-Hours Permit Emergencies: (916) 653-3442
Emergency Permit Procedures