Emergency Permit Procedures (After Office Hours)
California Law makes special provisions to accommodate the movement of vehicles/loads when responding to and returning from an "emergency." The California Vehicle Code (CVC) Division 15, section 35002(c), defines an emergency as "....a condition which poses an imminent threat of loss of property or a hazard to life, as determined by the public agency charged with responsibility to respond thereto." Refer to the Transportation Permits Manual, Chapter 6: Emergency Moves, for more information.
When permits or verbal authorization are needed to transport equipment to an emergency, the offices listed below shall be contacted.
- To obtain permits from Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., the Caltrans Transportation Permits Office shall be contacted at (916) 322-1297.
- Outside of the above hours, the Caltrans Headquarters Communication Center shall be contacted at (916) 653-3442.
Transportation Permits Links
- TPermits HOMEPAGE | Office of CVO
- CalRoute-Route Clearing Database
- Application Forms & Accompaniments
- Interactive Application Instructions
- Transportation Permits Manual
- New Policies & Revisions
- Extralegal Weight Charts
- Extralegal Load Network (ELLN)
- Pilot Car Maps
- STAA Pilot Car Maps
- Red Route Summary Table
Permits Issuance Branch
1823 14th St., Sacramento, CA 95811-7119
Main Phone: (916) 322-1297
Single Trip Fax: (916) 322-4966
Annual/Repetitive Fax: (916) 445-0469
Variance Fax: (916) 322-1505
Office Hours: 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri
(Closed on State Holidays except ML King Day, Cesar Chavez Day, & Veterans Day)
Walk-In Hours: 8am-3pm, Mon-Fri
(Closed on State Holidays)
Special Conditions for Holiday Travel
2017 Holiday Office Info
After-Hours Permit Emergencies: (916) 653-3442
Emergency Permit Procedures