Intersection Control Evaluation (ICE)
Traffic Operations Policy Directive 13-02: Intersection Control Evaluation (ICE)
Intersection Control Evaluation refers to the process and framework that a growing number of transportation agencies are adopting to provide a more balanced or holistic approach to the consideration and selection of access strategies and concepts during transportation planning, project identification and initiation processes that contemplate the addition, expansion or full control of major intersections (including interchange ramp termini). “Full control” involves the use of signal, stop or yield control on each of the through and most major movements.
- Traffic Operations Policy Directive 13-02, Intersection Control Evaluation (ICE)
- Issuance Memorandum, dated August 23, 2013
- Alternative Intersections/Interchanges: Informational Report (AIIR)
- FHWA Roundabout Website
- Roundabouts: An Informational Guide, Second Edition (NCHRP Report 672)
- ICE TOPD Implementation
- ICE Process Information Guide, Version 1.0
- Fact Sheet on ICE TOPD
- List of Access Strategies & Configurations
Traffic/Performance Analysis Methodologies & Tools:
- Roundabout Capacity and Operational Analysis
- Safety Performance / Collision Cost Analysis Tool (Excel spreadsheet)
- For general information, please contact a District ICE Coordinator or a Technical Assistance Program Coordinator (listed in the next sections).
- For a copy of the Excel spreadsheet Tool, click here (version 1.0). To arrange for basic instruction, training, or technical assistance, please contact the District Safety Engineer or the appropriate specialists identified under the section on ICE TAP Team.
District ICE Coordinators:
ICE Technical Assistance Program (TAP):
The primary role and service of the ICE TAP is to provide technical assistance and training in support of TOPD implementation by Districts, local and regional transportation agencies, and other project sponsors. Technical support is provided through consultation on matters related to:
- Complex and controversial access proposals, strategies and concepts.
- The assessment, scoping, analysis and design of innovative access strategies – especially those for which formal technical guidance has not yet been established.
Technical Assistance Program Coordinator:
How to Request Assistance:
- Contact your District ICE Coordinator (see list provided above)
ICE TAP Team:
Traffic Operations Division Links
- Traffic Operations HOMEPAGE
- Commercial Vehicle Operations
- Encroachment Permits
- Outdoor Advertising
- Traffic Engineering
- Traffic Management