- Other Guidance
- Forms & Templates
- Policy Memos
- Scoping Tools
- Training On Demand
- Acronyms and Abbreviations List
- Contact SER Staff
- Questions about the SER?
- Suggestions or problems with this site, email the website coordinator or use the suggestion form.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print PDF files. Adobe Acrobat is required to edit online forms and save them to your computer.
Last Updated: Friday, July 24, 2015 10:42 AM
Standard Environmental Reference
Sign up for the Standard Environmental Reference (SER) Subscription List to receive an automatic notice when updates have been made to the SER.
What is the SER? The Standard Environmental Reference (SER) is an on-line resource to help state and local agency staff plan, prepare, submit, and evaluate environmental documents for transportation projects. The SER contains information appropriate to all transportation projects developed under the auspices of Caltrans, and to all local agency highway or local streets and roads projects with funding or approvals by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).
The Standard Environmental Reference (SER) includes:
- Caltrans Environmental Handbooks ,
- Vol 1: Guidance for Compliance - NEPA and CEQA documentation; a general technical resource for planners; and a compendium of applicable federal and State laws and regulations
- Vol 2: Cultural Resources - For archaeologists, historians and other cultural resources specialists
- Vol 3: Biological Resources - For biologists and other natural resources specialists
- Vol 4: Community Impacts Assessment - Environmental Justice and other community issues
- Other guidance documents,
- Identifying Historic Landscapes
- Forms, templates and graphics used
during the environmental process, including:
- Preliminary Environmental Analysis Report (PEAR) Report Format and Guidance - Tools you need to complete an initial environmental evaluation of a project.
- Preliminary Environmental Study (PES) Form - A link to the Local Assistance Program Manual and step-by-step instructions to help local agency staff through the early stages of environmental analysis.
- Standard Level-of-Service (LOS) graphics for your environmental document.
- Policy Memos that relate to the environmental process.
- Topics Matrices - A fast way to link to key information for major technical issues.