Strategic Plan Executive Summary
|GOALS, Objectives and Performance Measures
The Division of Research and Innovation is part of the overall Caltrans organization. An understanding of Caltrans One Vision/One Mission is needed in order to develop a purpose statement and goals that align with the overall organization. Caltrans One Vision/On Mission is as follows:
Caltrans Improves Mobility Across California
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) strives to be the highest performing transportation agency in the country. In pursuit of our mission, we continue to build a talented and diverse team and to strengthen ties with our partners. To keep California moving, we commit ourselves to these goals:
Provide the safest transportation system in the
nation for users and workers
Optimize transportation system throughput and
provide dependable travel times
Improve delivery of projects and services
Provide mobility choices through strategic partnerships
Preserve and enhance California's resources and investments
The Goals identify the results that DRI will deliver as the organization implements the Strategic Plan. Each goal was revisited for their appropriateness and the following lists the revised goals that the Division will attain:
- Deliver exceptional levels of service to DRI customers.
- Create a work environment that supports a talented and diverse workforce, characterized by teamwork, productivity, and quality.
- Manage DRI through superior leadership, planning, and communications.
- Build and maintain strong partnerships and alliances that support the objectives of DRI.
- Establish DRI as the premier transportation research organization in the country.
The Objectives outlined on the next pages are aligned with each one of the five goals listed above. Performance measures are included that will assist with measuring overall goal attainment. If not identified already, the baseline for each performance measure will be developed over the next 6-12 months and targets will be set for the next evaluation period. Action Plans identifying the actual action steps that will be taken to accomplish each goal/objective are included in the Appendices.
|1. Deliver exceptional levels of service to DRI customers.
||1.1 Continue to streamline the RDSC project selection process.
1.2 Incorporate accountability into the research process.
1.3 Find out what service the customer needs and deliver it.
1.4 Be advocates to customers by communicating with them on a regular basis.
1.5 Work with customers to foster deployment by understanding their needs and being involved throughout the life of the research project.
1.6 Communicate clear descriptions of Division of Research and Innovation services and products.
|1. High Customer Satisfaction
2. Benefit Analysis (How are the selected research projects meeting the customers' needs and/or performance measures?)
|2. Create a work environment that supports a talented and diverse workforce, characterized by teamwork, productivity, and quality.
||2.1 Build teamwork to improve effectiveness.
2.2 Provide employees with the necessary authority and tools to do their jobs effectively.
2.3 Value diversity and encourage mutual respect.
2.4 Improve staff communication vertically and horizontally.
|1. Number of projects managed effectively based on dollars and/or volume
2. Skill Assessment Evaluation
3. High Employee Satisfaction
|3. Manage DRI through superior leadership, planning, and communication.
||3.1 Ensure the implementation and ongoing communication of the Strategic Plan.
3.2 Keep internal staff and external customers abreast of DRI's research projects and results.
3.3 Evaluate the organizational structure and restructure as appropriate.
3.4 Link research to Department's goals by reviewing divisions' strategic plans/priorities and then work with them to ensure that DRI's strategic research plan aligns with their plans.
3.5 Enhance professional capacity building of the leadership team.
|1. Overall office average of projects within 10% of their budget or 10% of their schedule.
2. Return on Investment/ Benefit Cost (Total dollar savings associated with the program/project compared to the cost of the program/project plus implementation efforts.)
3. High Employee Satisfaction
4. High Customer Satisfaction
|4. Build and maintain strong partnerships and alliances that support the objectives of DRI.
||4.1 Identify and establish strategic partnerships.
4.2 Work with research partners/contractors to ensure usable results.
4.3 Establish and maintain open lines of communication with partners.
|1. Number of Alliances
1. 2. Number of projects that utilize relationships outside of Caltrans that result in deployable tangible results
2. 3. Partner Evaluation
|5. Establish DRI as the premier transportation research organization in the country.
||5.1 Produce world-class results.
5.2 Be recognized nationally and internationally for research excellence.
5.3 Continue conducting high risk and/or high payoff research projects.
|1. Number of staff publications
2. Number of invitations to present at conferences
3. Amount of funds that are generated from outside the department
4 Number of leadership positions held with national organizations