Multi-Modal System Planning
- System Planning
- Statewide Modeling Branch
- Statewide Travel Analysis Branch
- Statistical Support Branch
- California Statewide Travel Demand Model
- California Statewide Freight Forecasting Model
- California Household Travel Survey
- National Household Travel Survey - California Data
- Census Transportation Planning Products
- Traffic Impact Model Manual
- Interregional Transportation Strategic Plan
2016 National Household Travel Survey
The National Household Travel Survey
Caltrans and the Federal Highway Administration have initiated a yearlong process of inviting thousands of California households to participate in the National Household Travel Survey (NHTS). If you have received a packet in the mail inviting your household to participate, the survey process is very simple.
(To view this video in Spanish, click here.)
Just follow these three easy steps:
- Fill out the brief questionnaire that comes with your invitation and mail it back in the prepaid return envelope.
- You will receive a packet with a travel log and an assigned travel day. On your assigned day, everyone in your household will use the log to keep track of every trip they take - driving, walking, taking the bus, etc.
- After you have completed the log, you will enter your travel log online or by phone and answer a few additional questions, a process that usually takes 20 to 25 minutes.
For more information on the National Household Travel Survey, visit the NHTS webpage at www.NationalHouseholdTravelSurvey.com or call 1.855.350.NHTS (6487).
Caltrans Online Survey
If you have not received an NHTS survey packet but are interested in taking part in a travel survey, Caltrans is offering an online travel survey so we can learn more about your travel needs and preferences.
Please click the icon below to participate in the Caltrans survey.
Your travel experiences are unique and important. Travel surveys help state, local and federal leaders decide how to invest transportation dollars and improve roads, public transportation, sidewalks, bike paths and more. Participation helps plan the future of our state's and our nation's transportation system.
Click here for responses to Frequently Asked Questions about the NHTS.
Visit www.NationalHouseholdTravelSurvey.com or call 1.855.350.NHTS (6487).