Office of sustainable Community Planning Links
- ADA Strategic Plan
- Complete Streets
- Context Sensitive Solutions
- EJ and CBTP Tool Box
- Environmental Justice & Community-Based Transportation Planning Grants Program
- Environmental Justice and Title VI ProgramHigh-Speed Rail Transit Connectivity Program
- Local Development - Intergovernmental Review (LD-IGR)
- Native American Liaison Branch
- Public Engagement
- Smart Mobility Framework
- Smart Mobility Branch
- Land Use/Transportation Data & Tools
Environmental Justice and Title VI Program
Program Functional Responsibilities
- Promote policies and strategies to enhance the participation of low income and minority communities in transportation decision making
- Manage the Environmental Justice Grant Program
- Coordinate Title VI compliance requirements for the Transportation Planning Grant Program
Environmental Justice Grant Program
The Environmental Justice (EJ) Grant Program promotes the involvement of low-income and minority communities, and Native American tribal governments in the planning for transportation projects. EJ grants have a clear focus on transportation and community development issues to prevent or mitigate disproportionate, negative impacts while improving mobility, access, safety, and opportunities for affordable housing and economic development.
Title VI – Civil Rights Act of 1964
In coordination with the Civil Rights Office, the Office of Community Planning implements federal requirements that ensure the Transportation Planning Grant Program is in compliance with Title VI - Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Documents and Publications
- Community Primer on Environmental Justice & Transportation Planning - The Caltrans Community Primer on Environmental Justice and Transportation Planning is to provide community members with clear and accurate information about how transportation decisions are made at the state and local levels. It is designed to provide knowledge and tools you need to participate effectively in the planning and project development process.
- Environmental Justice Desk Guide - This Environmental Justice Desk Guide was developed to provide guidance and background information to planners at all levels (state, regional, local and community) on the principles and best practices in Environmental Justice and Transportation Planning. This Desk Guide is the first comprehensive document that addresses Environmental Justice in transportation planning in California.
- Sustainable Communities, Mineta Transportation Institute, May 2001 (PDF)
- Director's Policy on Environmental Justice
- Deputy Directive on Environmental Justice
|C. Edward Philpot, Jr.
Branch Chief, Grants/Public Engagement
Office of Sustainable Community Planning
1120 N Street, MS-32
Sacramento, CA 95814
PO Box 942874, MS-32
Sacramento, CA 94274-0001