Office of sustainable Community Planning Links
- ADA Strategic Plan
- Complete Streets
- Context Sensitive Solutions
- EJ and CBTP Tool Box
- Environmental Justice & Community-Based Transportation Planning Grants Program
- Environmental Justice and Title VI ProgramHigh-Speed Rail Transit Connectivity Program
- Local Development - Intergovernmental Review (LD-IGR)
- Native American Liaison Branch
- Public Engagement
- Smart Mobility Framework
- Smart Mobility Branch
- Land Use/Transportation Data & Tools
Environmental Justice & Community-Based Transportation Planning Grants Program
The Environmental Justice (EJ) and Community-Based Transportation Planning (CBTP) grant programs promote a balanced, comprehensive, and multi-modal transportation system. These are discretionary programs that provide key methods by which many California communities plan for closer connection between transportation and land use. Caltrans provides these planning grant funds to metropolitan planning organizations and regional transportation planning agencies, cities and counties, transit agencies, and Native American tribal governments. It is vital for Caltrans to work together with local communities to develop innovative and robust products so communities can thrive. Since 2000, the EJ and CBTP grant programs have provided over 440 planning grants totaling nearly $67.7 million. Ninety percent (90%) of the projects costs are funded by the Caltrans grant program and the remaining ten percent (10%) is contributed by the grantee as a local match.
The EJ and CBTP grants are instrumental in developing and studying the sustainability of land use plans that improve the quality of life for many Californians. The grants include innovative public and stakeholder participation aspects in the planning and decision-making process. The grants also promote smart growth principlesólivable community demonstration approaches to collaborative planning. Further, EJ and CBTP grants are expected to help foster sustainable economies, increase affordable housing, improve housing and jobs balance, encourage transit-oriented and mixed-use development, expand transportation choices, increase safety, improve health, and reflect community values.
EJ and CBTP final products are expected to help leverage funds from other program sources that may forward future project activities. Completed EJ and CBTP products often contribute to positive local planning practice by influencing and integrating final products into the local and regional plans.
The Environmental Justice (EJ) grant program promotes the involvement of low-income and minority communities, and Native American tribal governments in the planning for transportation projects. EJ grants have a clear focus on transportation and community development issues to prevent or mitigate disproportionate, negative impacts while improving mobility, access, safety, and opportunities for affordable housing an economic development.
EJ grants must include public participation components that address the interests of low-income, minority, Native American, and other under-represented communities. In many cases, these communities do not have the resources to influence transportation decisions and project outcomes.
Community-Based Transportation Planning
The Community-Based Transportation Planning (CBTP) grant program promotes transportation and land use planning projects that encourage community involvement and partnership. These grants include community and key stakeholder input, collaboration, and consensus building through an active public engagement process. CBTP grants support livable and sustainable community concepts with a transportation or mobility objective to promote community identity and quality of life. Each grant displays a transportation and/or land use benefit. CBTP grants are approached in many different ways with innovative ideas and opportunities for public participation.
Final Products & Fact Sheets
An online library of final products and fact sheets beginning with grants awarded in FY 06-07 is available at the following link:
- Library of completed grants beginning with fiscal year 09-10
- Factsheets for EJ grants awarded before FY 09-10
- Factsheets for CBTP grants awarded before FY 09-10
- Transportation Planning Grant Program - Information about the grant awards (see archives) and applications.
- Environmental Justice and Community-Based Transportation Planning Grants Handbook
- EJ and CBTP Grants Tool Box
- Transportation Planning Grants and Special Studies Assessment and Recommendations (2009)
C. Edward Philpot, Jr.
Branch Chief, Grants/Public Engagement
Office of Sustainable Community Planning