Caltrans Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Program
Strategic Partnerships and Sustainable Communities Grant Awards
Strategic Partnerships and Sustainable Communities Grant Non-awards
Caltrans released the FY 2016-17 Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Application Guide. Applications were due December 31, 2015 by 5 PM.
Download the latest version of Adobe Reader DC to complete the application. This version of Adobe is available free of charge.
The Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Program was created to support the California Department of Transportation’s (Caltrans) current Mission: Provide a safe, sustainable, integrated and efficient transportation system to enhance California’s economy and livability.
Current significant efforts were also considered during grant program development, such as:
- California Transportation Infrastructure Priorities Vision and Core Concepts;
- State Smart Transportation Initiative Assessment and Recommendations;
- Caltrans Program Review Major Actions;
- California Transportation Plan 2040 Vision and Goals;
- Smart Mobility 2010 Principles.
Grant Program Overarching Objectives were also identified to ensure consideration of these major efforts in transportation planning, including: Sustainability, Preservation, Mobility, Safety, Innovation, Economy, Health, and Equity.
In addition, grant administration processes have been streamlined and made consistent to benefit our partners. Most notable is the earlier release date of the Grant Application Guide, the earlier application deadline, and an earlier grant award announcement date. With this advanced process, grant recipients can anticipate starting project activities earlier in the State Fiscal Year, pending State Budget approval.
The intent of the Grant Program remains unchanged. Although dedicated grants no longer exist for Environmental Justice, Community-Based Transportation Planning, and Transit Planning, these important areas are still eligible for funding under the new Grant Program. Caltrans still provides transportation planning grants to promote a balanced, comprehensive multimodal transportation system. However, Caltrans revised the Grant Program to reflect current goals that direct us to emphasize more transportation planning efforts that promote sustainability.
These grants may be used for a wide range of transportation planning purposes, which address local and regional transportation needs and issues. The implementation of these grants should ultimately lead to the adoption, initiation, and programming of transportation improvements. The Caltrans Division of Transportation Planning provides the following transportation planning grants:
- Strategic Partnerships
- Sustainable Communities
Schedule for FY 2016-17 Grant Awards
- August 17, 2015 – Release Call for Applications
- December 31 at 5 PM – Application Deadline
- January – District Grant Application Review/Ranking
- February/March – HQ Grant Committee Review/Funding Recommendations
- April/May – Management Approval of Committee Recommendations
- May – Send Preliminary Notifications to All Applicants
- June – Send Conditional Award Letters with State Budget Contingency
- Grantees May Begin Work when the Contract Agreement is Executed and when FY 16-17 State Budget is Approved.
More information about each grant's purpose and goal, eligibility, and grant funding cap can be found in the Office of Regional Planning's grants website.
Sustainable Transportation Planning Grants Lead
Associate Transportation Planner
Office of Regional Planning
1120 N Street, MS-32
Sacramento, CA 95814
PO Box 942874, MS-32
Sacramento, CA 94274-0001