- Amtrak California
- California Transportation Plan
- Caltrans Property for Sale
- Caltrans Local Development Review
- Legal Expert Witness Consultants
California Department of Transportation
Date: October 19, 2011
District: District 6 Fresno
Contact: Jose Camarena
Phone: (559) 488-4067
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CALTRANS AWARDS $66 MILLION IN SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOLS FUNDING
FRESNO – Caltrans today awarded $66 million to cities, counties, and regional agencies for 139 Safe Routes to School (SRTS) projects to improve safety for students in grades K-8 who walk and bicycle to and from school.
"By improving safety, more children are encouraged to walk and bicycle to school, ultimately resulting in healthier children and less traffic congestion," said Acting Caltrans Director Malcolm Dougherty.The funding was provided by the federal SRTS program. Since its inception in 2005, Caltrans has awarded $156 million for 356 SRTS projects.
Some of the notable projects in Orange County that received funding include:
- $439,000 to construct pedestrian paths, sidewalks, curb and gutter, and curb ramps; upgrade crosswalk striping; install in-pavement crosswalk lights at various locations in Firebaugh to serve students attending Arthur E. Mills and Firebaugh Middle Schools.
- $476,000 to Kern County for use in constructing sidewalks, curb and gutter and curb ramps for students attending Golden Hills and Fairview Elementary Schools
Caltrans works closely with a diverse group of state, local, and regional stakeholders representing transportation, health, education, law enforcement, and bicycle/pedestrian advocates.
Click here to view the entire list of SRTS projects that received funding.
# # # #