California Department of Transportation


Q How should I transport hazardous waste?

For information on transporting hazardous waste, we recommend you contact the California Highway Patrol and/or the Public Utilities Commission. Here's CHP's website:

To operate in California, all hazardous waste transporters must be registered with the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC). Unless specifically exempted, hazardous waste transporters must comply with the California Highway Patrol Regulations; the California State Fire Marshal Regulations; and the United States Department of Transportation Regulations. In addition, hazardous waste transporters must comply with Division 20, Chapter 6.5, Article 6 and 13 of the California Health and Safety Code and the Title 22, Division 4.5, Chapter 13, of the California Code of Regulations which are administered by DTSC.

The Transportation web page is at: