California Department of Transportation

Project Development Workflow Tasks (PDWT)

Part 3 - Identify Project Need and Project Initiation Document

II. Project Initiation Document

A. Define Transportation Need and Assess Site (150.05) - Obtain and Review Existing Reports, Studies and Mapping (150.05.05)

P14. Obtain Right of Way Maps

The Right of Way Record maps identify; existing right of way lines and legal access control, easements outside the right of way lines, joint use agreement (JUA) and consent to common use agreement (CCUA) areas within the right of way, excess land, areas that have been relinquished or vacated, and cross references to previous mapping. JUA’s and CCUA areas are typically occupied by utilities, railroads, canals, etc. where the land is jointly utilized by more than one entity. Right of Way Record maps may, but are not required to show highway alignments.

Right of Way Record maps are prepared and maintained by the Right of Way Engineering or Surveys Offices within each district. Engineers must never remove Right of Way Record maps without permission. Right of Way Record maps are permanent records that must be preserved indefinitely.

County right of way Record maps are typically obtained from the County Public Works Office. County property ownership maps, also known as PLAT maps or Assessor’s Parcel Maps (APM), may also be needed for property information on areas outside of The Department’ Right of Way Record maps. APM’s are typically obtained from the County Tax Assessor’s Office, Hall of Records, or the Development Office in charge of building permits. Some districts have County Assessor’s Parcel maps either on microfilm or electronically using Win2Data 2000 software. The Engineer should contact the Right of Way Engineering Office or Survey Office for assistance.


The Right of Way Manual, (Chapter 6.15, “Record Maps”)

Return to Table of Contents

If you have any questions about the Project Development Procedures Manual send e-mail

This page last updated July 20, 2010