Rigid pavements include Jointed Plain Concrete Pavement (JPCP) and Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement (CRCP).
The following resources provide rigid pavement standards, guidance, and other useful rigid pavement tools.
Rigid Pavement Standards
- California Highway Design Manual (HDM): Chapter 620 - Rigid Pavement (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Portland Cement Concrete Pavement (PCCP) Slab Replacements with Existing Edge Drains (DIB 73, Nov 1, 1988, htm)
- Capital Preventive Maintenance (CAPM) Guidelines (PDF, 774KB, DIB 81)
- Guidance for the Removal and Disposal of Concrete Pavement Grooving and Grinding Residues (PDF, 815 KB, DIB 84)
Rigid Pavement Guidance
- Guide for Design and Construction of New Jointed Plain Concrete Pavements (JPCPs) ( Jan 9, 2008), (PDF, 400KB)
- Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement (CRCP) Design Guide (Jun 5, 2007), (PDF, 269KB) Current Plans and Specifications are availabe upon request from Florante Bautista at (916) 227-5842 or Florante_Bautista@dot.ca.gov
Preservation, Maintenance and Rehabilitation
- Jointed Plain Concrete Pavement(JPCP) Rehab and Preservation Guide (Sep 2008), (PDF 1.5 MB)
- Tapers and Transitions (PDF, 160 KB)
- Shoulder Backing (PDF, 220KB)
Check for Submitted Concrete Mix (SCM) Evaluation(Apr 12, 44KB, MS-Excel) This spreadsheet tool is usefull for evaluating if a submitted concrete mix design conforms to the 2009 specification for concrete. It allows for input of exposure conditions and blended cement use.
Rigid Pavement Materials
- Recycled Concrete Aggregate, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- Fast Setting Hydraulic Concrete- Research Report (PDF, 2.5MB)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)Frequently Asked Questions
Please forward any questions/comments/suggestions to Amy Fong (email@example.com). Last updated 05/23/2014.