Office of Special Funded Projects (OSFP)
- September 2013 - Sign Specifications.
Effective September 1, 2013, the AASHTO Standard Specifications for Structural Supports for Highway Signs, Luminaires and Traffic Signals, Sixth Edition (LTS-6) constitutes the primary California Department of Transportation design specifications for structural supports for sign structures.
- June 2013 - Revised Seismic Design Criteria.
This is version 1.7 of the Seismic Design Criteria.
- March 2013 - New Memo to Designer 8-8.
This Memo describes the construction of bridge decks for reduced traffic noise.
- December 2012 - Updated OSFP Information and Procedures Guides.
Ten sections of our Information and Procedures Guide have been revised.
- November 2012 - Updated Bridge Design Aids 3-8.
This BDA is for Mechanically Stabilized Earth.
- November 2012 - Updated Memos to Designers.
The following Memos to Designers have been updated. The new Memos and their Implementation Memorandums can be found at the link above. MTD 2-12 - Special Design Earth Retaining Systems Numbering MTD 11-25 - Anchorage Zone Design MTD 11-34 - Hinge Curl MTD 12-1 - Review of Shop Drawings - Steel Structures
- MSEPlus® Earth Retaining System Approved For Use.
The MSEPlus® earth retaining system has been restored to the Qualified Products List.
- June 2012 - New Memo to Designers 20-8.This Memo describes the analysis procedure for Ordinary Bridges that cross faults.
- February 2012 - Shop Drawings for the MSEPlus® Retaining System.A new memorandum has been issued with instructions regarding shop drawings for the MSEPlus retaining system by the SSL company.
- December 2011 - The California Amendments to the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications have been updated.The updates apply to sections 2 through 6 and 10-13. Please see the 2011 Implementation Memo on the above link for more information.
- September 2011 - Implementation of the 2010 Construction Contract Standards.The implementation date has been set as September 30, 2011.
- August 2011 - Updated P&Q Transmittal Form with Memo to Specification Engineer/Estimator.These documents have been updated and are included in a single spreadsheet.
- July 2011 - New Memorandum for the Design of Earth Retaining Systems This memorandum describes the proper specifications to be used for the design of earth retaining systems.
- July 2011 - Updated Encroachment Permit Information.The encroachment permit procedures for overhead signs, traffic signals, and lighting standards have been updated.
- July 2011 - Updated Standard Drawings.The Standard Drawing "XS" sheets have been updated.
- July 2011 - Memo to Designers 3-7 has been updated.This revised Memo deals with anomalous CIDH piles.
- December 2010 - The Seismic Design Criteria has been updated to Version 1.6.The new version is effective December 15 for all new projects.
- November 2010 - Caltrans Structures Construction Winter Training Material is available.This year's subject is Trenching and Shoring.
- September 2010 - The California Amendments to the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications have been updated.The updates apply to earth retaining systems, abutments, and underground structures.
- June 2010 - Exception Process for Geotechnical Services Policies and Procedures.This Memo describes the procedure that staff must follow in order to gain approval for deviations from Geotechnical Services policies and procedures.
- April 2010 - New Seismic Design Criteria and design procedures.The new procedures are effective September 30, 2009 for all projects without previous Type Selection approval.
- February 2010 - Revised concrete cover for CIDH piles and drilled shafts.The required concrete cover for CIDH piles and drilled shafts has been revised.
- December 2009 - New and revised Foundations Manuals.Geotechnical Services has issued new and revised manuals dealing with structures foundations.
- July 2009 - Revised policy on design of Type II pile shafts.SDC Section 8.2.4 regarding Type II pile shafts has been modified.
- April 2009 - Seismic design of utility openings.A discussion of issues concerning the seismic design of utility openings has been added to the Current Issues page.
- March 2009 - Caltrans Amendments to the 4th Edition of the LRFD Specifications.The Amendments are now available online.
- February 2009 - Local Seismic Safety Retrofit Program - Structural Technical Issues Fact Sheet.This fact sheet has been updated.
- January 2009 - Implementation of new Bridge Design Specifications.Caltrans has adopted the 4th Edition of the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications.
- December 2008 - Interim Bridge Design Aids 3-8 has been issued.This interim Bridge Design Aid is used for MSE wall design.
- October 2008 - Local Agency Structure Representative Guidelines manual.This new manual provides guidance for Structure Representatives administering local agency construction contracts on the state right-of-way.
- May 2008 - Memo to Designers 10-20 has been updated.This memo provides updated deck and soffit details for bridges designed using LRFD.
- December 2007 - New instructions for submitting As-Built LOTB sheets.Instructions for submitting As-Built Log of Test Borings as TIFF files with CADD
- October 2007 - Memo to Designers 10-20 is now available.This new memo provides deck and soffit details for bridges designed using LRFD.
- September 2007 - OSFP has a new website. We've updated our website to a new format, and your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Please use the following link to contact us: OSFP Webmaster
- August 2007 - LRFD Information The California Amendments to the LRFD Specifications have been updated. Additional information is available on the new LRFD Information page.
- July 2007 - Geotechnical Services Geotechnical Services has issued a new version of the Soil and Rock Logging, Classification, and Presentation Manual.
- March 2007 - Conversion to English Units New information regarding the transition to English units.
- January 2007 - Availability of steel membersNew Information regarding the availability of steel members.
- October 2006 - Version 1.4 of the Seismic Design Criteria is now available.
- August 2006 - Rebar Spacing in Cast-In-Place Piles Consultants are reminded that CIP piles have specific rebar spacing requirements.
- August 2006 - Column flare designThe required gap between the column flare and the bridge soffit has been changed.
Statewide Alerts and Other Information.
Engineering Related Information: