MATERIALS ENGINEERING AND TESTING SERVICES
- METS Home Page
- New Products
- Contractor Resources
- METS Org Chart
- California Test Methods
- Authorized Material List
- Authorized Laboratories List
- Authorized Facility Audit List
- Favorite Links
- Inspection Request Forms
- Local Agency Resources
- Materials Administrator
Materials Engineering and Testing Services
New Product Submittal
traffic safety related devices
A New Product Submittal Package (NPSP) must be submitted for each new product (one NPSP per new product) and must include the following items:
- New Product Submittal Form (NPSF), with appropriate signatures.
- Product literature (brochures, cut sheets, specifications, etc.).
- Test data: Traffic safety related devices, such as barriers, sign supports, guard railing and crash cushions submitted to Caltrans must meet the performance requirements specified in the National Cooperative Highway Research Program Report 350 (NCHRP-350). Submit the crash test report for your product prepared by an independent test facility, and video/DVD of the actual full-scale vehicle crash tests. Surrogate test devices, such as a pendulum, are not acceptable. Include a letter from the Federal Highway Administration verifying that they have reviewed the crash test data and have accepted the product for use on the National Highway System. Federal Highway Administration acceptance does not constitute acceptance by Caltrans. In addition, submit any documentation of independent product testing, including any testing by other departments of transportation, government agencies, AASHTO or ASTM or other nationally-recognized facilities/organizations, and evidence of compliance with any specifications that may exist for this type of product.
- Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), if required. If use of the product requires handling by Caltrans employees, the MSDS will be forwarded to the Office of Health and Safety Services for review and acceptance. NOTE: For the protection of Caltrans employees, Material Safety Data Sheets that do not list the new product ingredients or components will be rejected.
- Quality control plan, if product utilizes recycled materials.
- Contact list, if applicable, identifying other entities that have utilized the product.
- Other pertinent information.
NOTE: Do not include samples or specimens with the submittal package. You will be notified if/when samples are required.
Incomplete New Product Submittal Packages will not be considered and will be discarded after 30 days.
Starting on October 6, 2014, all submissions must be electronic, and submitted to the New Product email address. No Mailed Submittals will be accepted. E-mail completed New Product Submittal Package to New.Products@dot.ca.gov.
If you have questions regarding the submittal of your product,
please contact the New Products Desk at:
Please email comments or suggestions about this web page to