Each year, Caltrans holds its Annual Highway Safety Poster contest. The contest is open to the children and grandchildren of Caltrans employees, and it gives the children an opportunity to express their messages about the importance of driving safely in or near highway work zones. It also allows them to be part of Caltrans' educational outreach and life-saving message.
The contest was open to children 17 years old or younger, and judges selected posters based on creativity, how well the poster conveyed the highway safety theme and the use of color.
The winning posters appeared in the Annual Workers Memorial program and were on display at the ceremony. Although the posters differ greatly in appearance, they all convey one of these important messages, "Slow for the Cone Zone," "Move Over" or "Be Work Zone Alert."
Work Zone Safety Tips
The California Department of Transportation wants you to return home safely to your family. The following tips are to help you stay safe while traveling through maintenance and construction work zones. Motorists can make trips a little safer by remembering the following work zone safety tips.
- Do not speed in work zones; obey the posted speed limits.
- Stay Alert! Expect the unexpected.
- Watch for workers; drive with caution.
- Don't change lanes unnecessarily.
- Avoid using mobile phones while driving in work zones.
- Turn on headlights so that workers and other drivers can see you.
- Be especially alert at night while driving in work zones.
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Allow ample space between you and the car in front of you.
- Anticipate lane shifts, and merge when directed to do so.
- Be Patient!
"Slow for the Cone Zone" Poster Contest Archives
Cone Zone Promotions
ConeZone Brochure Teen (346 KB)
Cone Zone Artwork
Cone Zone Links
Teen/New Drivers Sweepstakes
Work Zone Safety
Highway Worker Safety
California Highway Information