- Local Assistance Home
- DLA Sitemap
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise
- E-76 Status
- Inactive Projects
- Local Assistance Contacts
- Other Links
- Program Information
- Reports and Databases
- Training Programs
- Update Notification
Safe Routes to School
Federal Safe Routes To School (SRTS) Program
Authorized by Section 1404 of SAFETEA-LU (the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users), the SRTS Program came into effect in August of 2005. This federal funding program emphasizes community collaboration in the development of projects, and projects that incorporate elements of the 5 E’s – education, encouragement, engineering, enforcement, and evaluation.
After successful applicants are notified that their project has been selected for funding, that project must first be programmed into a Federal Transportation Improvement Program (FTIP). The FTIP is managed by the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) or Regional Transportation Planning Agency (RTPA) in their region. It is incumbent on the awardee to contact their MPO/RTPA to find out when they can expect their project to be amended into the FTIP.
When the Division of Local Assistance is provided copies of amendments through the Division of Programming at Headquarters, awardees will be alerted so they can initiate their Request for Authorization to Proceed.
- SRTS Program Guidelines
- Cycle 3 SRTS Informational Webinar Information
- SRTS Approved Project Lists
- Delivery Status of SRTS Projects
- Federal-Aid Process for SRTS Program
- Data Collection and Evaluation
- Environmental Justice Desk Guide [pdf]
- SRTS Directives and Important Documents
- Federal Transportation Improvement Program (FTIP) Information and Links
- More Information and Useful Links
Back to Safe Routes to School Homepage
Continue to check this site periodically for any program updates.
This page last updated on November 14, 2014
If you have questions or are experiencing problems downloading, you can get help by sending an email to email@example.com.