- Awards and Recognition
- Barrier Aesthetics
- Blue Star Memorial Highways
- Classified Landscaped Freeways
- Community Identification
- Context Sensitive Solutions
- Erosion Control Toolbox
- Gateway Monuments
- Main Streets
- Mission Bells
- New Product Review
- Policy and Procedures
- Roadside Toolbox
- Safety Roadside Rest Area System
- Scenic Highways
- Standards and Nonstandards
- Transportation Art
- Visual Impact Assessment Outlines
- Visual Impact Assessment Training
- Water Conservation
Erosion Control Toolbox
To Combine Specifications
Planning & Design
Improve Soil Health
- Soil Rehabilitation
- Local Topsoil
- Imported Topsoil
- Roughen Soil Surface
- Stepped Slopes
- Contour Grading and Slope Rounding
- Decompact Soil
- Incorporate Materials
Improve Soil Health & Provide Cover
Short Term Cover
Long Term Cover
Steep Slope Techniques
- Stepped Slope
- Cellular Confinement
- RECP Flap
- RECP Flap with Brush Layering
- RECP Wrap
- Soil Filled RSP
- Wire Blanket
- Wire Mesh Confinement
- Plant Selection
- TransPlant Application
- Noxious and Invasive Species
- Drill Seed
- Dry Seed
- Native Grass Sod
- Brush Layering
Low Impact Development
- Sidewalk Stormwater Planter
- Sidewalk Stormwater Tree Trench
- Parking Stormwater Planters
- Permeable Paving
- Additional Resources
Rolled Erosion Control Product (Turf Reinforcing Mat)
What is This Treatment?
Rolled Erosion Control Product (Turf Reinforcing Mat) is a matrix-like product composed of non-degradable synthetic fibers, filaments, nets, wire mesh and/or placed other elements over bare soil areas.
When to Use This Treatment?
- Use on cut and fill slopes between 2:1 and 1:1 (H:V). For specific maximum slope gradients, consult your geotechnical engineer.
- Use of Rolled Erosion Control Product (Turf Reinforcing Mat) in a stream or channel below the 100-year base flood elevation will be determined by the responsible charge Engineer. Planting or incorporation of seed proposed by the Landscape Architect in conjunction with the RECP (Turf Reinforcing Mat) will be evaluated by the responsible charge Engineer to verify hydraulic impacts of mature vegetation.
- Provides immediate protection from surface erosion.
- Helps retain soil moisture improving seed germination and vegetation establishment.
- Longevity of 3 years (not considering vegetation). See functional longevity for each turf reinforcing mat type specified below.
- Rocks and debris may lift blankets above the soil surface, allowing erosion to occur between the blanket and the soil surface.
Surface treatment only - unlikely to improve compacted, nutrient depleted, or poorly draining soils as necessary to ensure vigorous long term vegetative cover.
Technical Design Tips:
In the project Special Provisions, specify the turf reinforcement type that best meets your project requirements. Select the product considering the following factors:
- Functional longevity required (medium term or long term).
- Relative cost of materials, installation and maintenance.
- Material strength.
Selecting a Turf Reinforcing Mat
Designers should specify a turf reinforcing mat product based upon specific site requirements. Detailed information on each of product type is listed below.
|TRM (Type A)||
> 3 Years
|TRM (Type B)||
> 3 Years
|TRM (Type C)||
> 3 Years
(1) For detailed information on ECTC categories, please see "Table 1" on the ECTC (Erosion Control Technology Council) specifications web page.
- 2010 Standard Specifications (See Section 21-1.02O(5) Turf Reinforcement Mats and 21-1.03 Rolled Erosion Control Products)
- 2010 Revised Standard Specifications (RSS)
Consider Using With:
Regardless of the turf reinforcing mat type specified, this material also requires the permanent vegetative protection provided by:
To effectively treat sites with compacted, nutrient depleted, or poorly draining soils, consider combining this treatment with:
Plans and Details:
- Standard Plans (See Sheets H52 and H53)
- Revised and New Standard Plans (Check for any Revised Plans)
- Sample Erosion Control Legend
- Typically $30,000 - 45,000/acre (2009).
- Click here for a 1997 cost survey of Erosion Control pricing.
- Use BEES code 210290, Rolled Erosion Control Product (Turf Reinforcing Mat).
- For detailed information on ECTC product categories, please see "Table 1" on the ECTC (Erosion Control Technology Council) specifications web page.