- Barrier Aesthetics
- Blue Star Memorial Highways
- Classified Landscaped Freeways
- Community ID
- Context Sensitive Solutions
- Erosion Control Toolbox
- Gateway Monuments
- Main Streets
- Mission Bells
- New Product Review
- Policy and Procedures
- Roadside Toolbox
- Safety Roadside Rest Area System
- Scenic Highways
- Transportation Art
- Visual Impact Assessment Outlines
- VIA Training
- Water Conservation
Erosion Control Toolbox
To Combine Specifications
Planning & Design
Improve Soil Health
- Soil Rehabilitation
- Local Topsoil
- Imported Topsoil
- Roughen Soil Surface
- Stepped Slopes
- Contour Grading and Slope Rounding
- Decompact Soil
- Incorporate Materials
Improve Soil Health & Provide Cover
Short Term Cover
Long Term Cover
Steep Slope Techniques
- Stepped Slope
- Cellular Confinement
- RECP Flap
- RECP Flap with Brush Layering
- RECP Wrap
- Soil Filled RSP
- Wire Blanket
- Wire Mesh Confinement
- Plant Selection
- TransPlant Application
- Noxious and Invasive Species
- Drill Seed
- Dry Seed
- Native Grass Sod
- Brush Layering
Low Impact Development
- Sidewalk Stormwater Planter
- Sidewalk Stormwater Tree Trench
- Parking Stormwater Planters
- Permeable Paving
- Additional Resources
Rolled Erosion Control Product (Jute Mesh)
What is This Treatment?
Jute mesh is a lightweight, degradable, open weave textile (OWT).
When to Use This Treatment?
- Cut and fill slopes between 4:1 and 2:1 (H:V). Use Rolled Erosion Control Products (Netting) on steeper slopes.
- To use in a stream or channel below the 100-year base flood elevation (as determined by the Engineer) contact the Civil (Hydraulics) Engineer in responsible charge of the stream/channel.
- Provides immediate protection from surface erosion.
- Helps retain soil moisture improving seed germination and vegetation establishment.
- Rocks and debris may lift blankets above the soil surface, allowing erosion to occur between the blanket and the soil surface.
Surface treatment only - unlikely to improve compacted, nutrient depleted, or poorly draining soils as necessary to ensure vigorous long term vegetative cover.
Technical Product Information
The table below provides a summary of technical information for jute mesh:
(1) For detailed information on ECTC categories, please see "Table 1" on the ECTC (Erosion Control Technology Council) specifications web page.
The photo above shows erosion control jute mesh being installed along a roadside. The open area of this product is high so seed may be applied before or after the jute mesh is put in place.
- 2010 Standard Specifications (See Section 21-1.02O(2) Jute Mesh and 21-1.03 Rolled Erosion Control Products)
- 2010 Revised Standard Specifications (RSS)
Consider Using With:
Regardless of the blanket type specified, this material requires the permanent vegetative protection provided by:
To effectively treat sites with compacted, nutrient depleted, or poorly draining soils, consider combining this treatment with:
Plans and Details:
- Standard Plans (See Sheets H52 and H53)
- Revised and New Standard Plans (Check for any Revised Plans)
- Sample Erosion Control Legend
Specify Jute Mesh in the Erosion Control Legend:
- Click here to view current awarded bid prices for Rolled Erosion Control Product (Jute Mesh).
- Click here for a 1997 cost survey of Erosion Control pricing.
- Use BEES code 210260, Rolled Erosion Control Product (Jute Mesh).
- For detailed information on ECTC product categories, please see "Table 1" on the ECTC (Erosion Control Technology Council) specifications web page.