- Barrier Aesthetics
- Blue Star Memorial Highways
- Classified Landscaped Freeways
- Community ID
- Context Sensitive Solutions
- Erosion Control Toolbox
- Gateway Monuments
- Main Streets
- Mission Bells
- New Product Review
- Policy and Procedures
- Roadside Toolbox
- Safety Roadside Rest Area System
- Scenic Highways
- Transportation Art
- Visual Impact Assessment Outlines
- VIA Training
- Water Conservation
Erosion Control Toolbox
Planning & Design
Improve Soil Health
- Soil Rehabilitation
- Local Topsoil
- Imported Topsoil
- Roughen Soil Surface
- Stepped Slopes
- Contour Grading and Slope Rounding
- Decompact Soil
- Incorporate Materials
Improve Soil Health & Provide Cover
Short Term Cover
Long Term Cover
Steep Slope Techniques
- Stepped Slope
- Cellular Confinement
- RECP Flap
- RECP Flap with Brush Layering
- RECP Wrap
- Soil Filled RSP
- Wire Blanket
- Wire Mesh Confinement
- Plant Selection
- TransPlant Application
- Noxious and Invasive Species
- Drill Seed
- Dry Seed
- Native Grass Sod
- Brush Layering
Low Impact Development
- Sidewalk Stormwater Planter
- Sidewalk Stormwater Tree Trench
- Parking Stormwater Planters
- Permeable Paving
- Additional Resources
Rolled Erosion Control Product (Blanket)
What is This Treatment?
Rolled Erosion Control Product (Blanket) is a composite blanket typically consisting of a core composed of coconut, coconut and straw, or excelsior, surrounded by two non-synthetic nets for shear strength.
When to Use This Treatment?
Specify the blanket type that best meets your project requirements based upon slope steepness, functional longevity and cost. Consult your geotechnical engineer for specific maximum slope gradients
|Blanket (Type A)
Double Net with Straw and Coir fiber (Coconut) core.
2:1 - 1:1
|Blanket (Type B)
Double Net with 100% Woven Coir (Coconut) fiber core.
|Blanket (Type C)
Double Net with Wood Excelsior core.
Use of erosion control blanket in a stream or channel below the 100-year base flood elevation must be determined by the responsible charge Engineer. Planting or incorporation of seed proposed by the Landscape Architect in conjunction with this product will be evaluated by the responsible charge Engineer to verify hydraulic impacts of mature vegetation.
- Provides immediate protection from surface erosion.
- Helps retain soil moisture improving seed germination and vegetation establishment.
- Longevity of 12 months (not considering vegetation). See specific information for the blanket types listed below.
- Rocks and debris may lift blankets above the soil surface, allowing erosion to occur between the blanket and the soil surface.
Surface treatment only - unlikely to improve compacted, nutrient depleted, or poorly draining soils as necessary to ensure vigorous long term vegetative cover.
Technical Design Tips:
- Apply seed before placing the blanket on the slope, otherwise germination of seed may be inhibited.
Consider Using With:
Regardless of the blanket type specified, this material requires the permanent vegetative protection provided by:
To effectively treat sites with compacted, nutrient depleted, or poorly draining soils, consider combining this treatment with:
Plans and Details:
- 2010 Standard Plans - See Standard Plans for Landscape and Erosion Control
- Click here to see examples of how to specify RECP Blanket on the project plans
- Click here to view current awarded bid prices for Rolled Erosion Control Product (Blanket)
- Click here for a 1997 cost survey of Erosion Control pricing.
- Use BEES code 210280, Rolled Erosion Control Product (Blanket).
- For detailed information on ECTC product categories, please see "Table 1" on the ECTC (Erosion Control Technology Council) specifications web page.