Division of Environmental Analysis
The Division of Environmental Analysis (DEA) administers Caltrans' responsibilities under federal and state environmental law. The Program develops and maintains Caltrans environmental standards, policies, procedures, and practices that are implemented by the Department's 12 District Environmental Branches. Program staff work with the districts to identify and assess the effects of Caltrans projects on the state's natural and cultural environments, and identify ways to avoid or mitigate those effects.
DEA acts as the Department compliance lead and assists the Districts and our transportation partners in:
- Complying with state and federal environmental laws;
- Encouraging the public to participate in the environmental evaluation process;
- Determining the environmental consequences of our activities;
- Proposing prudent, feasible and cost effective strategies and alternatives to avoid or minimize adverse impacts of the Department's activities, and;
- Ensuring the mitigation selected is appropriate.
DEA is headquartered in Sacramento, though each of the twelve district offices, located throughout the state. The Program, administratively under the Deputy Director for Project Delivery, is headed by a Program Chief who also serves as the Agency Preservation Officer. DEA has a highly-trained, professional staff of planners, engineers and environmental specialists who work with the District Environmental Branches to help their staff and project managers with the environmental project process.
- The Historic Property Survey Report (HPSR) forms have been updated to include NEPA Delegation language. Please use the new forms on the internet rather than earlier versions saved on your computer.
- The Environmental Management Office has updated the CE Checklist to update the dollar amounts for CEs under 23 CFR 771.117(c)(23) "Projects with limited federal assistance."
- The Division of Environmental Analysis is EXTREMELY happy to announce that NEPA Assignment has been reinstated and the MOU is in effect immediately! Updates to the SER include the removal of the PCE Form and Checklist, reposting of the original CE/CE Form and Checklist, reposting of an updated SER Chapter 38, reposting of the original Blank PEAR Form and Blank Mini-PEAR Form, and updates to DEA's NEPA Assignment internet page.
- Document Library
- Video Library
Statewide Alerts and Other Information
Project Delivery Divisions