California Department of Transportation
 

Contract 10-0S4404

The responses to bidder's inquiries, unless incorporated into a formal addendem to the contract, are not a part of the contract and are provided for the bidder's convenience only. In some instances, the question and answer may represent a summary of the matters discussed rather than a word-for-word recitation. The availability or use of information provided in the responses to bidder's inquiries is not to be construed in any way as a waiver of the provisions of Section 2-1.03 of the Standard Specifications or any other provision of the contract, the plans, Standard Specifications or Special Provisions, nor to excuse the contractor from full compliance with those contract requirements. Bidders are cautioned that subsequent responses or contract addenda may affect or vary a response previously given.

Q1) This project notice to bidders was dated 4/30/09, but doesn't show up on your weekly advertised projects list as of 5/1/09. It most likely won't show up until Monday 5/4/09. This will leave less than 1 week to order plans and try to put together a responsible bid. It is currently set to bid on 5/8/09 which will also leave contractors less than 1 week to try to obtain a UDBE Goal of 8%. This timeframe will not leave time to advertise in the a trade focus bulletins. We use Minority Bidders Bulletin and thier deadline to place an add is 4pm Friday for the following Monday. We will not even be able to get the add placed in a reasonalbe amount of time to provide enough qualified UDBE participants to place quotes for us to have a chance to meet the goal. Please postpone this project for a minimum of two weeks to four weeks to allow the contractors time to bid this job.

A1) This project is listed on the Office Engineer's Advertised Projects (Projects for Bid) page, under the "Emergency, Informal, and Toll Bridge Projects" link: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/oe/weekly_ads/inf_em_seismic.php. This is an informal-bid project. Refer to Sections 2, 3, and 4 of the Special Provisions for special requirements. Also refer to "Planholder Search" on the Advertised Projects page, for potential bidder or non-bidder information: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/oe/planholders/


Q2) HOW DO WE FULL FILL THE 30 DAY GOOD FAITH EFFERT IN THE REQUIREMENT IN JUST 9 DAYS OF 4% DVDE FROM NOTICE OF BID OF BID TO BID DATE.

A2) The Department encourages bidders to make every reasonable effort to meet the contract goal and document those efforts. Although the short advertising period may affect the duration of the bidder's good faith efforts, it should not affect the intensity of the efforts. If the goal is not met, the Department will evaluate the totality of the bidder's efforts in accordance with Section 2-1.01 of the contract special provisions.


Q3) There is no recessed center line worth saving. Over 40 percent is almost entirely gone. The other 60 percent is like cracked and raised. Nothing is smooth.
Maintance has used new paint on other areas where thermo is the same. the center line will have to be recessed and new thermo put back as was first done about 9 years ago. Also there is no known way to protect the center line. I've been doing this type of work for 35 years. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SPEC. TO SAVE TRERMO RECESSED CENTER STRIPE. IF YOU ARE GOING TO WRITE A SPEC. AT LEAST KNOW HOW ITS TO BE CARRIED OUT.

A3) Your comments are noted. Note 4 on Sheet 2, Typical Cross Sections (X-1), states that the designated existing traffic stripe is to be protected prior to seal coat. It is the Contractor's option to propose how best to protect the existing centerline stripe, regardless of its condition. The Engineer must approve the Contractor's method. Please bid per plans and specifications.